Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook and Garageband...

iBook and Garageband...
jam8
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 04:20 PM

Hi all, i'm new to the forum, and i appologize if this is a redundant topic.

I'm about to buy my first Apple computer. I'm a musician, and the element that pushed me into buying the Apple is the program Garageband included in the iLife suite.. It's a brilliant program.

I've used garageband on an iMac G5; however, I need a laptop. I need to know how well Garageband performs on iBooks.

Realistically, i'd like to get a used Apple, to keep the initial cost down. After the intel switch has occured, i'd like to buy a new Powerbook, but for now, i'm looking at used 1 to 1.2 ghz Apple iBooks.

Please, anyone with Garageband experience, tell me how well the program runs on the iBook. I'd like to use the laptop as a portable multi-track recording studio and song creation device; as well as a basic function personal computer for web surfing, email, word processing, etc.

This is unrelated, but is there a significant depreciation of the visual quality between the 12 and the 14 inch models?

Thank you to everyone who can help me!

Sveen
Aug 10, 2005, 06:12 PM

In general I can recommend lots of RAM... especially for GarageBand. But a PowerBook might be the better choice, because you have more I/O-Ports. The iBook doesn't even sport an analog input.

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 06:31 PM

Can you elaborate what you mean? I-O is in out ports, right? Whats an analog input used for?

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 06:33 PM

Sorry for the double post, but i have another question. Would a slower processor powerbook, say, 900 mhz or something of that nature, suffice for garageband, if i have a lot of ram installed?

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 07:08 PM

In my experiences, I've noticed GarageBand to be quite the CPU hog.

I actually used it on a 12" 1.2 iBook for a couple months, and while it wasn't the fastest around, it still got the job done. I didn't really use it for multi-track recording, buy rather a couple recording tracks and maybe 5 or 6 software instruments. The iBook couldn't really handle anything more than 8-10 software instrument tracks, and this is with virtually no effects. I had 1.25gb of RAM in it though which really helped -- the iBook's hard disk is pretty slow when it comes to multi-track audio.

If you qualify for the educational discount, and already have some experience with audio software, I'd recommend getting Logic Express for $150. It ran much faster compared to GarageBand on my iBook, and has tons more features.

...But I'd buy a newer iBook just cause it has a slightly faster CPU and max. RAM capacity of 1.5gb.

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 10:09 PM

See, my reason for getting it used would be the additional software that I can get.

Right now, i have the opportunity to buy a 12 inch 1.07ghz model with 768mb ram and a 30 gig harddrive for under $800. It has lots of additional software (adobe, macromedia, office, iwork, ilife), and since this is my first mac, it would be a good starting place to learn OS X 10.4

But it seems i'm definately going to have to buy ram if i go with this....

My logic is as follows....$800 for a 1.07 ghz for the used computer with the software, or $1000 for a 1.33 ghz for the new without any software except ilife 05. Seems that the used is the better deal, but you guys are the experts.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
In my experiences, I've noticed GarageBand to be quite the CPU hog.

I actually used it on a 12" 1.2 iBook for a couple months, and while it wasn't the fastest around, it still got the job done. I didn't really use it for multi-track recording, buy rather a couple recording tracks and maybe 5 or 6 software instruments. The iBook couldn't really handle anything more than 8-10 software instrument tracks, and this is with virtually no effects. I had 1.25gb of RAM in it though which really helped -- the iBook's hard disk is pretty slow when it comes to multi-track audio.

If you qualify for the educational discount, and already have some experience with audio software, I'd recommend getting Logic Express for $150. It ran much faster compared to GarageBand on my iBook, and has tons more features.

...But I'd buy a newer iBook just cause it has a slightly faster CPU and max. RAM capacity of 1.5gb.
So wait, Logic Express will run better than GarageBand on my iBook? Sweet
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jam8
Sorry for the double post, but i have another question. Would a slower processor powerbook, say, 900 mhz or something of that nature, suffice for garageband, if i have a lot of ram installed?
If you're talking about a 900 MHz G3, then the answer is no. That's what I have and GarageBand will barely run on it. It couldn't keep up at all with a guitar plugged into the usb port, and if you have more than a couple of the GB tracks running at the same time the processor will bog down.

For $899 you can get the previous iBook on closeout at macconnection.com -- they will throw in an extra 512 MB of ram for free, and I think they have free ground shipping right now.

One more thing to consider about GB on an iBook is that the screen is fairly small (the 14" iBook doesn't give you any more screen space either, everything is just bigger). The tracks tend to get kind of cramped in the iBook's 1024x768 display.

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 10:52 PM

Dave, are you refering to this: http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=5468649 ?

Would there honestly be much of a difference between a 1.07 ghz processor and a 1.20 ghz processor for an extra 100 bucks?

Remember, i can get a 1.07 ghz ibook for 800 bucks with 768mb of ram; all other specifications are identical. The used one comes with lots of additional software. I'm trying to figure out which would be the best bet.

Remember, this will be my first Apple. It's primary purpose will be to teach me OS X. My favorite feature, and probably the feature i'll use the most, will be garageband.

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! I APPRECIATE EACH RESPONSE GREATLY!!! =D

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 11:09 PM

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. Sorry, I really can't say if the faster processor would make a real difference with GarageBand. It doubt it would make any appreciable difference for general computer use (web, email, word processing, etc.) though. For my money, I would pay an extra $100 just to buy new rather than used, unless the used one has a year or more of Applecare with it.

If you wait another day or so, there will probably be some more people post their thoughts on your situation.

volcano
Senior User
Aug 10, 2005, 11:31 PM

See, my reason for getting it used would be the additional software that I can get.

Right now, i have the opportunity to buy a 12 inch 1.07ghz model with 768mb ram and a 30 gig harddrive for under $800. It has lots of additional software (adobe, macromedia, office, iwork, ilife), and since this is my first mac, it would be a good starting place to learn OS X 10.4

But it seems i'm definately going to have to buy ram if i go with this....

My logic is as follows....$800 for a 1.07 ghz for the used computer with the software, or $1000 for a 1.33 ghz for the new without any software except ilife 05. Seems that the used is the better deal, but you guys are the experts.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Does it have Applecare? Used laptops without a warranty can be a big risk in any situation. Also - ask the seller of that laptop if the registry keys are included for the software mentioned. Many sellers will have an abundance of software INSTALLED, but sometimes you either need your own registration code or they just install the trial version that they downloaded from the company website.

Are you currently a student? If so, go buy the newest iBook. With the educational discount, the 12" iBook will cost you $949 USD, and the 14" iBook will cost you $1199 USD (stock configuration - without any extra upgrades). You also get a free 4GB iPod mini (after $179 mail-in rebate), and a rebate coupon for $100 off select printers. Also, if you buy Office right now, you get a $50 rebate, which means the program will only cost you $99.

All those offers last until September 24 (the last day of the Apple Expo, no doubt), except for the Microsoft Office rebate which only lasts until September 16.

And of course, as with any new Mac computer, you get the 1 year warranty and 90-day phone support. If you don't feel like buying the extended warranty (Applecare) right away - you can wait a few months and buy it later on for the educational price of $183. That extends your warranty from 1 to 3 years and from 90 day phone support to 3 years phone support. You have to buy the extended coverage within your 1-year warranty timeframe, though.

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 12:01 AM

The computer is still under the original manufacturer warranty from the time he bought it, 10 months ago. It's good until september 5th 2005. I could extend the applecare warranty to an additional two years, right?

In the end, guys, its $800 for a 10 month old ibook. I'm selling the computer I have now for $400, so in essence, i'm buying the ibook for $400 with a month left on applecare. For the purposes of learning OS X and basic computing, as well as garageband and watching dvds and the like, it seems like an ok deal.

The reason why i dont want a new computer is because in a bout a year, i'd like to get a top of the line 15 or 17inch powerbook. I want to "warm up" to OS X on an inexpensive laptop that will still be able to allow me to enjoy programs like garageband.

Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate how much seasoned Apple users care about the experience of new users.

Dave, you have a PM about screen size and resolution in reference to your post above =]

volcano
Senior User
Aug 11, 2005, 02:06 AM

The computer is still under the original manufacturer warranty from the time he bought it, 10 months ago. It's good until september 5th 2005. I could extend the applecare warranty to an additional two years, right?
Right. And if I were you - I'd extend it for that extra peace of mind.

Either way, you're going to get a beautiful machine that will leave you wondering why you put up with Windows PCs for so long. Good luck!

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 02:18 AM

I may wind up getting a newer one anyways, or maybe even a powerbook; who knows.

Thank you everyone for your help and support!

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 02:34 AM

Go for it, but expect some issues with GB... specifically due to the slower HD and when people don't have enough ram. Also, it is a CPU hog.

Having said that, I have several songs that have upwards of a dozen tracks that I have done on my Powerbook (1.5Ghz, 512MB of RAM, 5400 rpm HD).

You will also need a good input device for your guitar (if you are a guitarist). For cheap costs, I recommend the M-Audio Fast Track:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kUSB-main.html

Though there are better units out there if you want to spend the $$$$ for them.

Have fun dude!

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 01:14 PM

I wanna keep the cost down as much as possible, because i want my big purchase to be the new powerbook when it eventually comes out. That device seems perfect. Thankyou for the insight James!
I sent you a PM about specifications. =]

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 09:44 PM

It might be worth it for the extra software if you're getting the actual CDs and boxes. If you're not, its pretty useless to you, because the time will come where you'll want to upgrade your computer, or do some type of hard drive swap or something, and need those installer CDs (plus theres the software piracy issue.)

I had a 900mhz ibook and I used GB on it. I only had 768MB RAM, and it could handle things pretty well. You really have to coax it at time though. If you get too many tracks in. You can mix down tracks, but then you can't edit them.

I'd like to look at getting Logic too.

jam8  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 12:05 AM

The guy's going to install logic express on the machine as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules