Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > U.S. Open Tennis

U.S. Open Tennis
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 07:42 PM

I'm kind of bummed that Andy got knocked out, but as long as Federer doesn;'t win i will be happy. anyways check out this scary pic of Davenport....

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 07:44 PM

She has a habit of having photos taken of her with strange facial expressions.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 03:03 PM

Is she the next Carly?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 03:32 PM

Whats wrong with Federer? He's the greatest talent in the history of tennis.

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
how many grand slams has he won? just wondering

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
how many grand slams has he won? just wondering
He's 23 years old and he's won 3 grand slams. All in the last two years. He's also ranked #1 in the world and absolutely OWNS Roddick.

He serves like Sampras and he actually has a groundstroke game as well... not just serve and volley.

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 04:09 PM

He's 23 years old and he's won 3 grand slams. All in the last two years. He's also ranked #1 in the world and absolutely OWNS Roddick.

He serves like Sampras and he actually has a groundstroke game as well... not just serve and volley.
and already he is greatest talent ever...i have been watching him play in the open this year, he is really good...but i don't think you can call him the greatest talent ever this early in his career. he is a stud though...i still hope hewitt beats him if he gets past henman which it looks like he will.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
and already he is greatest talent ever...i have been watching him play in the open this year, he is really good...but i don't think you can call him the greatest talent ever this early in his career. he is a stud though...i still hope hewitt beats him if he gets past henman which it looks like he will.
I don't know why calling him the greatest talent in tennis history is a stretch.

He does everything well. He can beat you with the serve, ground strokes, he can come to the net. He can do anything and he can do it well enough to beat you.

John McEnroe said...:
"He perhaps is the greatest talent in the history of tennis and that's saying something.

"It is putting a lot of weight on his shoulders but he has the potential to be greater than Pete Sampras."

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 04:15 PM

I don't know why calling him the greatest talent in tennis history is a stretch.

He does everything well. He can beat you with the serve, ground strokes, he can come to the net. He can do anything and he can do it well enough to beat you.
i guess we'll have to watch and see, since i'm a roddick fan i'd really wish andy would get his game up more so he could make it a good rivalary

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Is she the next Carly?
we are yet to see!

wtf_reporter
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 06:13 PM

i miss anna

--------
the best there is

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 06:45 PM

Don't we all...

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2005, 11:23 PM

Well looks like Roddick saved himself another beating from Roger.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
Henman is out. He got whooped.

No way Hewitt is going to beat Federer. Hewitt is consistent, but not as consistent as Federer. I'm glad Roddick is out and I can't wait to see Nadal and Federer in the finals.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 12:08 AM

AP, that comment is from last year's Open. Agasthya resurrected this thread.

Poor Roddick. Happy Birthday! Buy Mojo something nice with that double prize money.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 02:09 AM

oh lol...I'm an idiot.

I noticed Andy's mojo was sitting in the loser section next to Mardy Fish.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
I noticed Andy's mojo was sitting in the loser section next to Mardy Fish.
He should've been on the court where he could've helped.

Actually, I've grown to like Andy a lot in the recent years. Still, it was funny to see him lose. He was probably going to lose to Nadal or Agassi anyway... and that's if he got past Ginepri. Still, he's had a good year.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 11:03 AM

I think Federer is a player's player which is why I think McEnroe thinks he is the best ever. Roddick just doesnt have the all round game that Federer has, Rafael Nadal could give him some good tight games though, especially on clay. I think Federer will win on clay soon and this is why I think he is also a better player than Sampras, who sucked on clay.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
I think there are as many that root against you if you are the 'current' best in the sport. And many will not give you the distinction of the 'best ever' until you've eclipse the stats of the current title holder of the 'best ever'. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with said athlete. Its just that some folks don't like to see someone dominating a sport (i.e. Jordan, Woods, Armstrong).

There were many that didn't like Jordan and there are a ton of anti-Tiger fans. Some will argue that Tiger is the best pro golfer ever - but many will not give that distinction until he can eclipse Jack Nicklaus's career winnings in majors.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by FulcrumPilot
I think Federer is a player's player which is why I think McEnroe thinks he is the best ever.
I think watching him play is enough to think he might be the best ever. He's definitely the first player I've seen who does everything well.

I think Federer will win on clay soon and this is why I think he is also a better player than Sampras, who sucked on clay.
The French Open isn't the only clay-court tournament. Federer already has 5 clay titles (including 3 in Hamburg, one of the Masters Series events that are second only to the Grand Slams). Likewise, Sampras wasn't great on clay, but he certainly didn't suck. He reached the semis of the French in '96 and the quarters 3 times (in a row). He also had an OK record on clay (90-56).

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 02:48 PM

Clay is not terribly kind to serve/volleyers like Sampras and Edberg, etc. Federer all around better than either and is at least half a notch above Sampras on clay, and he mentioned that he would concentrate more effort on clay after his loss to Nadal in the French Open. There is just something about the French clay that requires that extra effort from even Federer.

Looking forward to a Federer/Nadal final.
I, ASIMO.

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 03:59 PM

wow - its cool to see one of my threads revived i havent even watched this years Open - federer is the man but i still don't like him

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2005, 04:06 PM

I definitely see this coming down to a Federer/Nadal final. I doubt Hewitt can take out Federer, and I doubt that Agassi can take out Nadal (are they on the same side of the draw?). Nadal has the kind of game that can give Federer major problems, with all the spin on his shots, that it could be a really close final. That said, I can't really root against Federer, just because he's so great to watch...

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by spectre
I doubt Hewitt can take out Federer
What makes you think that? The beatings Federer gives him on a regular basis?

and I doubt that Agassi can take out Nadal (are they on the same side of the draw?).
Yes, they're scheduled to meet in the quarterfinals. Agassi's definitely a big underdog, but he has a shot. Still, it's always looked like a Federer/Nadal final and nothing's happened to change that.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Yes, they're scheduled to meet in the quarterfinals. Agassi's definitely a big underdog, but he has a shot. Still, it's always looked like a Federer/Nadal final and nothing's happened to change that.
I don't think Agassi has any chance of beating Nadal. Although I don't even think Agassi can make it into the quarters.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by spectre
That said, I can't really root against Federer, just because he's so great to watch...
I agree. He is one cool athlete doing the rounds these days at play and off the courts as well!

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
I don't think Agassi has any chance of beating Nadal.
Of course he has a chance. He's one of the greatest of all time. He showed he could push Nadal around in the second set of the Montreal final (their only match). It's unlikely he can do it over the course of a match, but it's definitely not impossible. Remember, he gave Federer his toughest test by far last year (with an assist from the wind). Then again, Agassi has a very dangerous match tomorrow against Karlovic. You never know.

That said, I can't really root against Federer, just because he's so great to watch...
I agree with this as well. He makes an incredibly hard sport look ridiculously easy.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 09:21 PM

When his game is on (most of the time, nowadays), he appears to play at least half a second ahead of his opponent. The ball must seem to be moving that much slower for him. It really is an amazing thing to witness this guy play.
I, ASIMO.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 10:42 AM

Heck yeah !

-

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777

Heck yeah !

-
I'm into fit women... but she be YUCKY... very YUCKY.

Forum Links
Forum Rules