Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why are macs so expensive?

Why are macs so expensive?
krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2005, 10:42 PM

I understand that awhile ago macs had to be more expensive because they were made with scsi hard drives, non-standard memory and expansion ports,

But now that they use IDE hard drives, IDE optical drives, DDR memory, and pci, agp, and pci-express ports why do they still need to be so expensive?

The mac-mini shows that apple is capable of creating a powerful computer for cheap, but I just dont understand why they havent expanded this into the rest of their market.

Their cheapest Power Mac is $2000 ! If I want a new tower Macintosh computer thats the cheapest I can get it for!
Their Emacs are more expensive than their Minis, which is funny because the emac has the same specs but is larger! Their Imacs are still $1200. Their Ibooks are $1000 minimum, twice as expensive as some PC notebooks with similar features, and lets not forget about their powerbooks which are $1500 minimum. (and not that much more powerful than their Ibooks)

And lets not forget about configurating the computers. Paying $100 more just to get a superdrive??? 16x DVDRW drives can be bought from newegg.com for $40. I see apple doing this same sort of stuff with extra memory, hard drive space, etc, the jack up the prices like mad!

It just seems like if Apple offered cheaper products, they would be able to sell a lot more, and become a lot more popular.

I'm suprised regular Ipods are still $300 as well, is that because the technology for creating them is pricey? Or is it because apple just wants to suck up as much money for them as possible?

----------

I vote that apple sells G4 Power Macs again, for almost the same price as their minis (in similar configurations) That their Emacs become cheaper, and that apple lowers the prices on their current G5 powermacs or sells them in configurations that are weaker but lower priced.

And it wouldnt hurt if they had lower prices on their notebooks and imacs. Also that they lower their prices on slightly better configurations.

I wonder if prices will be lower on the Mactels, when those debut.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2005, 10:44 PM

Two words. Research and Development.

And a $499 Mac isn't cheap?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 10:48 PM

Welcome to the 'NN.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 13, 2005, 10:50 PM

James, is that you?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by effgee
James, is that you?
I was thinking the same thing.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

Cuz we only have 10+/-% of the market....

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2005, 10:53 PM

Eh... The journey down this road is always a stupid one, especially when the person at the wheel is blind.

*LOCKINATION*
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules