Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Default SuperDrive (Pioneer DVR-104) Won't burn CDs on MDD G4

Default SuperDrive (Pioneer DVR-104) Won't burn CDs on MDD G4
3andahalfeyed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 11:29 PM

So Here's the deal...

Everytime I attempt to burn some CDs (Audio, Files, iTunes, etc.), The optical drive whirls several times to attempt the writing and then, OS X 10.2.8 keeps mentioning some errors.

Error Code 6 (When burning from Finder)

Target Device Error -2147352480. 03/73/03 (Burning from Disk Copy)

iTunes 6.0.1 keeps for some reason complaining about the media being too fast for the burner, it is 8x by the way, but I was able to use those same disks before. So that shouldn't be a problem there, I hope not.

I don't know what could've happened to the drive. It can't be the OS, it shouldn't be. Maybe something inside the machine where the optical drive is placed or the drive itself.

The Drive can read CD-ROMs DVDs, and burnt CDs. But it's only the burning that doesn't want to show.

??????

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 12:37 AM

Sounds like the drive might be dead. I once had a drive that stopped burning DVD-Rs, but burned CD-Rs fine. You can fine Pioneer DVR-110s extremely cheap now and it can burn faster, too.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 03:11 AM

I think I am having the exact same problems. I noticed that my 104 doesn't even read CDs at the moment and that I just burned my very first DVD coaster.
I was planning on buying a 110, but I wanted to keep this drive for an old b&w G3 I have.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

3andahalfeyed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 04:02 AM

The drive finally decided to burn some blank CDs. Both through the Finder and Disk Copy (used multi-session).

For some reason iTunes still refuses to join along with the other programs. Regardless of what I do. iTunes keeps telling me that the discs are to fast for the burner. I put it at 8x in iTune's Preferences, only to give the same result - Unable to burn.

Finder and Disk Copy had it at 8x and nothing wrong happened. I was able to get a couple burnt CDs with everything that had to be copied. For some reasons, iTunes 6.0.1 doesn't like it.

I hope the iTunes mishap doesn't start the burning difficulties over again with the Finder and Disk Copy. I hope not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules