Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > It's amazing what you learn when you read a EULA!

It's amazing what you learn when you read a EULA!
jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 17, 2006, 11:52 AM

I have never bothered to read a EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) carefully before. I have PhotoShop CS2 on my PowerMac at work. I am also doing a lot of work at home on my Quad but I only have an old copy of PS. I was wondering how I could get around this as CS2 needs to be activated over the web for it to work (beyond 30 days).

Reading the EULA, I come across this:

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided the Software on the portable of home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

Woohoo! This means I can legally use the tool I need on my home machine when I am working from home.

I know that these sort of terms have probably been around for a while but they are much more real with a product that requires activation.

Anyone know of any other interesting tid-bits hidden away in EULA's?

Lava Lamp Freak
Jan 17, 2006, 01:48 PM

You can do the same thing with Macromedia Studio, as long as it is on the same platform.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 02:00 PM

I remember a while back there was a software company which hid an easter egg in their EULA. They included a clause that said something like "If you send your name and address to <snail-mail address>, you will get $100. We can rescind this offer at any time." IIRC, it took a few months for someone to actually respond!

Someone with better google-fu can probably find a link.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2006, 04:43 PM

I recall it was actually $1,000; I thought someone found a new one of these profitable clauses. And failing that, something funny hopefully. Too bad it wasn't something like that, although the information is still useful. And frankly, after paying Adobe that much money, one should certainly be entitled to personally use the software on more than one computer.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 05:20 PM

"Our software may contain viruses and open security holes."

EULA for Windows '95, '98, NT, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, etc.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 17, 2006, 06:54 PM

[k]

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 09:16 AM

I'm still waiting for an EULA to end up in court...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules