Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Using Spotlight as a web search engine ?

Using Spotlight as a web search engine ?
Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 06:15 PM

I'm running a Mac OS X Server that has plenty of documents. These include PDF's, HTML, Office, etc.
I need these documents to be searchable, and spotlight comes to mind, since it already has an accurate index of all the documents in the server.

I tried weblight, but it is very limited. I also seem to remember a cgi script laying around somewhere in the OS X Server install that had a search field for spotlight in it, but I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2006, 02:47 AM

pre release versions of Tiger has a web search feature built into spotlight.
If someone could dig that out it may still work.

Edit: just realised thats not really what you are talking about, but I still wouldn't mind finding it.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 06:41 AM

Bookmarks should be seperate documents that update automatically or on command in my opinion. Now you are able to search in them and browse it offline.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2006, 09:53 AM

I would be very wary of using Spotlight as a search engine for a Website. Spotlight indexes the entire computer, not just the documents which you designate as part of a site. That can become a very big security problem if you make the index available to everyone through a Web form.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2006, 10:39 AM

JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Sarc  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I would be very wary of using Spotlight as a search engine for a Website. Spotlight indexes the entire computer, not just the documents which you designate as part of a site. That can become a very big security problem if you make the index available to everyone through a Web form.

Sure, but (I might be wrong), Spotlight uses a common SQLite dbase. Hence something could be coded that granted some user (ie. www) acces to some tables of the database.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules