Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Opinion Poll: Which President Is #1?

View Poll Results: Which President is #1?
Poll Options:
Bush 3 votes (8.57%)
Reagan 21 votes (60.00%)
Carter 11 votes (31.43%)
Ford 0 votes (0%)
Nixon 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll
Opinion Poll: Which President Is #1?
aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 01:24 AM

Bush-Reagan-Carter-Ford-Nixon

In your opinion, which of these President is #1? And why do you think so?

(Use popularity or effectiveness or whatever basis you'd like for judging.)

I'll say Reagan. But my #2 would be Nixon. #3 is Carter. #4 is Bush and #5 is Ford.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 01:33 AM

Why Carter before Bush?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 01:35 AM

This is a very strange no.1, but I would say Bush (the old one). He is a gentleman with a fine pedigree, whereas the rest of them are just nutty Irish people and peanut farmers.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Why Carter before Bush?
I'll admit Carter was a tough call. He could have been a good fit in any position depending on how you look at him. I placed him solidly in the middle because he was a fine example of what America really is. He is kind, decent, intelligent, honest, long suffering, peace-loving, a farmer, an Annapolis graduate and a former military officer. (A nuclear submarine commander.)

And because of what he wasn't.

He managed the US during a very difficult time and explored (and pushed the envelope of) non-violence as a de facto foreign policy strategy. Because of his administration, we saw the limitations of peace as a tool of government. We were exposed to the nature of Iranian radical Islam and despite the only loss of life being the forces lost in the desert when a hostage rescue attempt went terribly wrong, we were shown to be impotent around the world and he made us even more so in his effort to be a decent leader. He dismantled our military AND our intelligence capability.

Yet, he established the precedent that America was ready to sacrifice because of our human rights beliefs, because of principle. But that our sacrifice needn't be a matter of military action. Our athletes paid for our principles when Carter pulled the US out of the 1980 Moscow Olympics because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

His actions clearly illustrate both the good and the bad of American government and from his efforts the Egyptians and the Israelis shook hands, which shows us the possibility for tomorrow.

I believe we can learn as much from his shortcomings as from his achievements and this is more clearly obvious from his record than with any other presidency, I think.

( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Feb 2, 2006 at 03:08 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2006, 08:32 AM

Reagan. The rest can't compare.

Carter, meh, Nixon, double meh, and Bush is no Reagan.

Wasn't thrilled about Ford either.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 09:09 AM

.... just kidding!

My personal memory only goes back to Reagan's full term, so I'm relying on what I've read for the other three. Reagan gets the nod here, whether or not you agree with his politics you have to agree that he (and Margaret Thatcher) really had a vision for how to stop communism, and stop it peacefully. Those of you who are old enough, go back in your mind to the early 80's and before: did you really think that the Cold War would be resolved without some major conflict? And those of you who say "Why should stopping communism have been a goal, anyway" need a refresher course on that time period.

Carter and Bush are both fine men who were judged too harshly after they failed to get re-elected. Carter's efforts at Camp David and Bush's coalition building in the first Iraq war were some highlights in American diplomacy, and I wish our current president would have learned more from his predecessors. They both did not have perfect records as President, though, and those flaws (on either end of Reagan's success), as AW wrote, highlight the good and the bad about American government.

Many of GW Bush's current advisors date from the Nixon administration, and since I don't like their policies I probably wouldn't have liked Nixon.

And wasn't Ford the guy who fell down a lot?

My earliest political memory is my Italian grandmother spitting at the TV when she heard Reagan got elected.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 10:25 AM

By "Bush", you mean the elder, right? It might be a good idea to clarify that, since I'm not sure all of the posters here will make that assumption.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 10:30 AM

George Washington was number 1. All those guys are numbers 39-43.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
By "Bush", you mean the elder, right? It might be a good idea to clarify that, since I'm not sure all of the posters here will make that assumption.
Yeah I was wondering too (Not that it would have changed my decision) till I looked at the pic.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Even with the picture and the caption??? Wait, thinking about it again, maybe you have a point!

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
George Washington was number 1. All those guys are numbers 39-43.
BINGO!

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2006, 05:20 PM

In that picture, I'd say Ford looks best in a suit.

Seriously though, I'm certainly pleased at the fair shake Carter seems to be getting here.

Had to vote for Reagan though.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 05:35 PM

And just think, er, for you Fuzzies just do-whatever-you-do-when-you-call-yourselves-thinking, Reagan was EXCORIATED by the libs during his terms!

Go W!

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 05:59 PM

Reagan-good foreign policy.
Nixon-EPA creation.
Bush-Bad luck, could have done better things.
Ford-better than Carter
Carter-failed with Iran

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 06:50 PM

It's funny to me just how much people's perceptions of former presidents is based on media impressions and not from an honest assessment of their real achievements and actions.

For instance, it's so popular to think very highly of Reagan, and completely ignore the cold war, crappy foreign policy we still pay for to this day (middle east), and the economic slump which lasted most of his presidency.

I actually think Bush Sr. was a far better President. The media totally blasted him with the "read my lips" thing, but what people fail to realize is that he made the decision to raise taxes in order to pay for the 1st gulf war which is hard to deny was the right decision. If he had not increased taxes to pay for Gulf War1, we would still be paying for it to this day.

In contrast, our great grand children will still be paying for Jr's little war in Iraq.

Dork.
Professional Poster

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
And just think, er, for you Fuzzies just do-whatever-you-do-when-you-call-yourselves-thinking, Reagan was EXCORIATED by the libs during his terms!
Well, Reagan gets a lot of credit for his foreign policy, which turned out in restrospect to be much better for the country than the left could see at the time. His economic policies are still considered by many to be... well... flawed at best.

greenamp
Mac Elite

echo.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 07:08 PM

I almost forgot about the X-PRESIDENTS! Just wish they'd include Nixon in the comic IMG. He WAS in at least one of their adventures, you know.

Here's a link to watch all 9 episodes of the X-Presidents!

Nixon is in #2.

http://snl.jt.org/toon.php?i=209

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 07:15 PM

I vote Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, FDR, and Theodore. I wouldn't put anyone in the proffered list in the top 25.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Timo
I vote Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, FDR, and Theodore. I wouldn't put anyone in the proffered list in the top 25.
Timo, I'll make it easier for you.

Bush-Reagan-Carter-Ford-Nixon

In your opinion, which of these President is #1? And why do you think so?

(Use popularity or effectiveness or whatever basis you'd like for judging.)
With only these five presidents to choose from, which one of these presidents would you rate #1?

Reminder, you can only choose from these five (5) presidents in your voting.

We aren't asking you to vote for your best or favorite president of all time, but only among these presidents pictured above and the 5 FIVE listed here.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 07:43 PM

I don't give a **** what you ask me.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2006, 08:42 PM

clearly - out of these five - Regan - why? one word: charisma! now put regan up against clinton and you have lots of charisma going around.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Timo
I don't give a **** what you ask me.
Oh, you certainly do! Or you wouldn't have posted here in the first place. Nor would you have bothered responding.

Face it. You LOVE being included in our fun.

In fact, with every post, you are desperately seeking inclusion. That's what allows me to be so charitable to you. Why, your NAME even SCREAMS OUT your malady.

Timo backwards is "OMIT."

Don't let it get personal, aberdeen. That wasn't much in fun.
( Last edited by vmarks; Feb 11, 2006 at 09:10 PM. )

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 10:23 AM

My # 1 is a tie between Reagan and Nixon for being the biggest douches in history. Of course GW would be number one, if he was included.

King Bush the first was senile but bearable...Ford and Carter are *meh*.
( Last edited by Kr0nos; Feb 12, 2006 at 10:40 AM. )

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2006, 10:45 AM

Easily, Reagan. #1 and the standard by which all those who hold this position are gauged.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
Well, Reagan gets a lot of credit for his foreign policy, which turned out in restrospect to be much better for the country than the left could see at the time. His economic policies are still considered by many to be... well... flawed at best.
Let us not forget too that to help end the cold war we decided to arm a bunch of radical terrorist types.

Of course, if you've read "Charlie Wilson's War" it alleges (pretty convincingly) that Reagan initially didn't even know it was happening. Once he found out we were funneling money to Afghanistan, Reagan just threw his weight behind it, retroactively legitimizing the fact that foreign policy had been conducted by a down-on-the-ropes Texas congressman (Charlie Wilson, a democrat no less) and the CIA.

It's a complicated issue, and I'm not sure who to blame or give credit too. Since I'm giving Reagan the credit, I think he needs to shoulder the blame as well.

P.S. Anyone who hangs here in pol/war will find "Charlie Wilson's War" fascinating. I can't recommend it enough. Just make sure you have a day and a half clear once you pick it up.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter

Go W!

Could you please quit it with calling anybody who doesn't agree with you fuzzy brained, and/or generalizing the Left?

It's trolling, is not advancing this conversation, and is simply idiotic. I'm disappointed that somebody as intelligent as you would think that anybody who doesn't agree with you is an intellectual lightweight.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Could you please quit it with calling anybody who doesn't agree with you fuzzy brained, and/or generalizing the Left?

It's trolling, is not advancing this conversation, and is simply idiotic. I'm disappointed that somebody as intelligent as you would think that anybody who doesn't agree with you is an intellectual lightweight.
Could you please interpret my term as one which is BOTH light hearted AND ?

Could you please not pay attention to it?

Could you please focus on my supposed intelligence and not my 'shortcomings?'

Could you please recognize I MAY not be talking about you except when you speak up and thus take ownership of the title, "Fuzzy?"

Could you please find, create, beg, borrow, steal or in some other way get a sense of humor about this?

Could you please recognize this is a cute little title that is much nicer than SOME of the adjectives used to describe liberals?

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 13, 2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c

And I will quote this exact post to you, the next time you do similar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules