Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook display diagnostic steps / repair suggestions

iBook display diagnostic steps / repair suggestions
emark
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 05:09 PM

Hi.

I had the misfortune of spilling a tall glass of water into my ibook. I immediately powered down...but in process watched the screen go poof off....

Tried my best to dry up/out... gave it several days... end result:

not too bad. System boots, screen did not come back, but if light coming in window is at the correct angle and brightness I can make out faint images on screen. All other parts seem to work, hooked ext. video to TV, airport OK, ethernet, etc... OK, able to backup files and move to powermac...

Now wondering what to do about the iBook. I think replacement of either the bulb(s), inverter cable, or inverter board would do the trick. Definitely on a tight budget and considering trying the fix myself... any suggestions on which part is the best to replace first? warnings? This definitely looks challenging from the scattered info I've found.

emark  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 05:18 PM

I was wondering if I could test the inverter if I got it apart and put a voltmeter across it's plug connections...is it either working or not? could power be coming through but not clean/accurate power (if you will...)?

Forum Links
Forum Rules