Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > *dont* go see 'History of Violence'

*dont* go see 'History of Violence'
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 09:13 AM

Worst movie i've watched in many years.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0399146/

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2005, 09:19 AM

Not much of a Cronenberg fan, are you. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 09:19 AM

You sure? I went a couple of weeks back and absolutely loved it. I am no Cronenberg fan, but this was an excellently written, fantastically acted and unexpectedly funny movie.

Viggo Mortensen's performance as a mild mannered diner owner with a past was brilliant. Maria Bello was excellent as the wife split between her love for her husband and the new found knowledge that he isn't who she thought he was.

The entire movie is beautifully shot, right down to the sometimes very graphic but never gratuitous violence. It's a pleasure to watch.

What in particular didn't you like about it?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 7, 2005, 10:05 AM

Well, the critics seem to like it...

Rotten Tomatoes: 89%
Meta Critic: 83%

Based on that I'll eventually see it. Maybe as a rental if I don't get around to seeing it in the theatre.

ambush
Banned
Oct 7, 2005, 11:23 AM

was a rather good movie.... disappointed by the end,,, but good acting nonetheless.

a special parody of violent films... of the american dream... etc.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
was a rather good movie.... disappointed by the end,,, but good acting nonetheless.

I didn't get that at all, it was just about the secrets we all hide. Not everything revolves around your hatred of certain people, someday you'll realize that.

Anyway, it was an awesome flick, very beautifully shot and directed, top flight acting too. Might get Viggo an Oscar nomination. It's the first time I'd winced in a theater in a long time.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ambush

Are you sure you didn't accidentally see Dear Wendy?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

meelk
Baninated
Oct 7, 2005, 11:58 AM

It was ok. I could edit it into a 45 minute show and youd get the whole story though.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 12:28 PM

Entirely shot in Ontario and Toronto btw. A friend of mine was assistant location manager on it.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 12:40 PM

Going to see it tonight, and looking forward to it.

Surely you can offer more than simply, "don't go see it." Don't be lazy - what didn't you like?

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
Somehow your argument doesn't seem very compelling...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 01:30 PM

burp
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 7, 2005 at 01:38 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 01:34 PM

I won't comment on whether it's good or bad since I haven't seen it, but your link says this:

User Rating: 7.9/10 (3,891 votes)

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

Speaking of horrible movies, don't bother to see the remake of "flight of the phoenix". Holy crap, I saw that a few days ago on cable and it sucked so bad I didn't even bother to finish watching it. The original is pretty good, but hollywood must really be running out of ideas with all of these lameass remakes they're making nowadays. Another remake (of a tv series) that I haven't seen but I'm fairly certain will suck ass is "the honeymooners". Bah.......

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 04:42 PM

It's entirely possible to hate a movie that is otherwise widely enjoyed. Personally, I strongly disliked 'Sideways.'

:/

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 04:55 PM

But if you know you didn't like a certain movie and most other people did, would you go someplace and say point-blank 'don't go see this movie, I didn't like it'? You're ignoring the fact that many people find it very good. If we were talking about the Deuce Bigelow sequel, I'd understand more; in this case, it's not a cool thing to do. Maybe you missed the point of the movie, or didn't recognize the craft at work, or one of many other things, but if I knew that many people disagreed with me, I would go into a forum and say 'What's up with this? Why do people like it so much? I didn't care for it'. It would at least acknowledge reality.

I saw this movie on an IMAX screen last week. I'm not a big fan of the IMAX theater, but I still was able to recognize the skill and subtlety of the film. People were complaining about the ending, but I loved it; there were things left unsaid, but easily understood with some introspection and observation.
( Last edited by plastiqueusa; Oct 7, 2005 at 05:11 PM. )

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 04:56 PM

Oh yeah--go see Serenity! It's really good!

Serenity on IMDB

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 7, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Not much of a Cronenberg fan, are you. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Best movie he's made by far.

Thread starter is a fool.

It's great!

PS...One of the most dramatic endings i've ever seen (dinner table).

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Best movie he's made by far.

Thread starter is a fool.

It's great!

PS...One of the most dramatic endings i've ever seen (dinner table).
you cant be serious? :o
The story line was ridiculous, the sex scenes were stupidly overdone and there was soooo much 'time wasting'. The entire movie could have been done in 30 minutes.
People were actually laughing during the 'dramatic moments'.
I thought the general consensus of the cinema at the end was 'holy cow, this blows big time'.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 05:54 AM

you cant be serious? :o
The story line was ridiculous, the sex scenes were stupidly overdone and there was soooo much 'time wasting'. The entire movie could have been done in 30 minutes.
People were actually laughing during the 'dramatic moments'.
I thought the general consensus of the cinema at the end was 'holy cow, this blows big time'.
Oh, apologies for posting the most pathetic review/opinion of a movie ever probably should have explained in the first post.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by plastiqueusa
Oh yeah--go see Serenity! It's really good!

Serenity on IMDB
eagerly awaitng this movie. Also looking forward to watching Lord of War.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 06:13 AM

I loved it. I like the duality of Viggo's character and the effect it plays on the wife and son. I like Ed Harris a lot too, though they (the mobsters) come off as cliches, then again this is based on a comic, so characters do tend to become exaggerations of their role. But I guess people will either hate it or love it.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 06:14 AM

( Last edited by demograph68; Oct 8, 2005 at 06:32 AM. )

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 25, 2006, 08:31 PM

I just watched, on DVD.

I thought it was a pretty good movie.

I was annoyed at first by the way the movie was filmed; like the angles seemed boring. But then, after a while, the I completely forgot about it and was really into the movie, and especially by the high quality of play from the actors, and especially Viggo. I also felt William Hurt was besides his usual way of acting; he played a real sociopath. Quite surprising.

The sex scenes appeared quite authentic as well.

Finally, the way the violence trickled down to his son's situation with the school bullies was quite something as well.

Cronenberg can be quite the master behind the camera, sometimes.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 08:58 PM

I thought it was good. Nothing earth shattering but decent entertainment. Lots of ownage just at the right moments.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2006, 09:03 PM

i saw it in the video store last night but didnt get it - watched walk the line, made me want to download some more johnny cash songs on itunes

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 09:46 PM

I thought it was decent. Didn't think the ending was all that good, but decent.

meelk
Baninated
Mar 25, 2006, 10:33 PM

Stop Resurrecting Dead Threads!

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 25, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
Stop Resurrecting Dead Threads!
Stop replying then.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2006, 10:45 PM

** SPOILERS **

Did anyone else keep thinking that there was going to be a plot twist near the end, and he really wasn't going to be Joey? I felt a bit frustrated at the ending, because I realized that they had told the answer in the middle of the movie. After that point, the story wasn't as interesting. I felt kind of retroactively cheated out of half the movie.

I would have much preferred it if they had left some ambiguity about whether he was really Joey or not. Or if it had been revealed that he wasn't Joey, but he felt he had to play the part in order to get the bad guys away from his family. I think that would have been more interesting.

meelk
Baninated
Mar 26, 2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by FeLiZeCaT
Stop replying then.
You're the one who brought back a thread from OCT 2005 champ. get a clue.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2006, 12:32 AM

Stop Trolling.

meelk
Baninated
Mar 26, 2006, 12:32 AM

Stop replying then.

here: Joey kills the guys in his resturaunt, which attracts the attention of mobsters, one of whom he is related to. The mobsters send people to pick up Joey and bring him in. Joey kills them all, then to protect his family, Joey goes to where the mobsters are, and kills everyone he finds there as well, and returns home.

end.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2006, 12:35 AM

here: Joey kills the guys in his resturaunt, which attracts the attention of mobsters, one of whom he is related to. The mobsters send people to pick up Joey and bring him in. Joey kills them all, then to protect his family, Joey goes to where the mobsters are, and kills everyone he finds there as well, and returns home.

end.
Man calm down dude. So people wanna talk about this movie again, big deal? Nothing to get so worked up over.

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 26, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell
** SPOILERS **

Did anyone else keep thinking that there was going to be a plot twist near the end, and he really wasn't going to be Joey? I felt a bit frustrated at the ending, because I realized that they had told the answer in the middle of the movie. After that point, the story wasn't as interesting. I felt kind of retroactively cheated out of half the movie.
I think I can understand your point of view. However, I did not have such expectations. I mean, as simple as the plot can be, I did not try to speculate on what was going to happen next. Afterall, he admitted to his wife hw had been Joey, but that he killed him, then took 3 years in the desert to become Tom Stall.

Of course, the episodes of the fight on his lawn, after his son killed one of the mobsters make him look as a monster (if you look at his face, the way the jaw is hanging, the empty eyes, the way he took the shotgun from his son's hands, really made him look as a "crazy Joey".

But all he does afterwards goes back to Tom, except the sex scenes which become more and more intense, violent (remember the bruises on Edie's back after?). The ambiguity is quite strong.

I would have much preferred it if they had left some ambiguity about whether he was really Joey or not. Or if it had been revealed that he wasn't Joey, but he felt he had to play the part in order to get the bad guys away from his family. I think that would have been more interesting.
At the end, I think the symbology is our guide. Before the killing, there is the long way back to the source of all his trouble, his past. Then the attempts at resolving the issue peacefully. After the killings, especially that of his brother, the symbology is very strong; covered with blood, he washes himself in a lake, reflective as a mirror, as the Sun goes up for a new day. It as all the elements of a rite of passage.

The return home is full of ambiguity, until the daughter brings the plates and the son offers food, and then, his wife looks at him. He looks like he is begging.

No one says anything, and the movie ends. Plenty of ambiguity to me in that ending.

- Burt

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 26, 2006, 09:38 AM

end.

You missed half of the plot.

- Burt

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2006, 02:17 PM

I agree, this is one of the worst movies I have seen in the last year. It was ALL just shocking for the fact of being shocking.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2006, 02:45 PM

I think I can understand your point of view. However, I did not have such expectations. I mean, as simple as the plot can be, I did not try to speculate on what was going to happen next. Afterall, he admitted to his wife hw had been Joey, but that he killed him, then took 3 years in the desert to become Tom Stall.

Of course, the episodes of the fight on his lawn, after his son killed one of the mobsters make him look as a monster (if you look at his face, the way the jaw is hanging, the empty eyes, the way he took the shotgun from his son's hands, really made him look as a "crazy Joey".

But all he does afterwards goes back to Tom, except the sex scenes which become more and more intense, violent (remember the bruises on Edie's back after?). The ambiguity is quite strong.

At the end, I think the symbology is our guide. Before the killing, there is the long way back to the source of all his trouble, his past. Then the attempts at resolving the issue peacefully. After the killings, especially that of his brother, the symbology is very strong; covered with blood, he washes himself in a lake, reflective as a mirror, as the Sun goes up for a new day. It as all the elements of a rite of passage.

The return home is full of ambiguity, until the daughter brings the plates and the son offers food, and then, his wife looks at him. He looks like he is begging.

No one says anything, and the movie ends. Plenty of ambiguity to me in that ending.
I don't know, for some reason I just kept thinking there was going to be a twist. It seemed like the revelation came without as much power as there could have been, in the middle of the movie. I suppose I'm just used to those kinds of plot-twist devices in movies, so I was expecting something else to happen.

But it's true that the ambiguity was at the end - could they make it? Would he get arrested for the killings he just did? Would that sheriff come after him? Would his wife and kids accept him?

The reason I think it strikes a chord - despite it, honestly, not being that great of a movie - is that a lot of men see ourselves as having a bit of a wild life, and then marriage and family puts it behind us and we change. It's a common theme in all of our lives, especially men. We weren't criminals like this guy, but we calm down a lot, like Tom Stall moving to Indiana, when we get a family. Can we ever really change and be a family man, or is the bad boy going to come out again?

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 26, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I don't know, for some reason I just kept thinking there was going to be a twist. It seemed like the revelation came without as much power as there could have been, in the middle of the movie. I suppose I'm just used to those kinds of plot-twist devices in movies, so I was expecting something else to happen.

But it's true that the ambiguity was at the end - could they make it? Would he get arrested for the killings he just did? Would that sheriff come after him? Would his wife and kids accept him?

The reason I think it strikes a chord - despite it, honestly, not being that great of a movie - is that a lot of men see ourselves as having a bit of a wild life, and then marriage and family puts it behind us and we change. It's a common theme in all of our lives, especially men. We weren't criminals like this guy, but we calm down a lot, like Tom Stall moving to Indiana, when we get a family. Can we ever really change and be a family man, or is the bad boy going to come out again?
These are interesting reflections. I agree with you that the movie is not a "chef-d'oeuvre", yet, it confronts us in our daily lives through its extremes.

I had not thought of it in these terms, but yes, I believe you are touching something quite interesting there. A bit like a second "coming of age".

In retrospective, for me, the scariest part was the first scene, where one of the bad guys reminded me of a possible younger version of the Stall character. I think the chain of ambiguities started there for me.

- Burt

Forum Links
Forum Rules