Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Resetting a "Stuck" iPod

Resetting a "Stuck" iPod
ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2006, 07:14 PM

I have tried everything I know about, so maybe someone can educate me. My son't 20GB Photo iPod is stuck; the screen is displaying a song that's almost over, but there's no audio. Holding the Menu and select buttons, or the Play/Pause and select buttons does nothing at all. Yes, the Hold switch is off. I don't have access to his computer right now, so I haven't tried applying an iPod update, but that's all I know of that I haven't tried.

Any ideas?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 09:53 PM

Use a screwdriver and a vice - see if there's a bug inside by opening the sucker up.

No, please dont. I have no advice to give than for you to get a to a computer, and see if it snaps out of its dead-ness. If not, try a local Apple Store.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 09:57 PM

This happened to my friends Nano. I tried the same things that you did. Unfortunately I don't think he was able to do anything without his computer.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 10:56 PM

Can you run it all the way down, and then connect it to charger?

Menu Select and then Select and << should take you to diagnostics.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2006, 09:05 PM

My 5G video does that too often. I just toggle the hold button on and off then press and hold the menu and select buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds and it works every time.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

sharkabee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 09:41 PM

Using the updater to restore the ipod worked for me. My nano had gotten stuck in disk mode after the battery had run most of the way down.

If holding down the menu and select buttons doesn't work, I think restoring it is your next option.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 05:27 PM

Well remember you guys, you have to toggle the hold switch on and off then hold down the Menu+Select bottons for about 6 seconds for the reset to work properly.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 13, 2006, 06:51 PM

The overall problem was that the iPod was not responding at all, and given that it was pretty well charged, it looked like it was going to take a very long time for it to run down. Eventually it started responding again, but it just wasn't right; the battery indication was wrong, it wouldn't keep some settings, and so on. The kid was upset, and we were looking at a warranty that would expire soon.

Well we got things sorted out. Went to the Apple Store (I'm SO glad there's one here in town now!) and the Genius Bar handled it. It turns out that the firmware was goofed up; they fixed that and all is now well with the iPod.

Now if I can just get the "organized music files" thing through to him, he'll be able to manage what he puts on his iPod a little beter. He's got a number of different folders with music in them on his computer-and they aren't all subs of the same top level folder. Ouch, but I guess this is one of those "no pain, no gain" learning opportunities.

Thanks all for all of the suggestions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules