Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How long does it take your MB to charge?

How long does it take your MB to charge?
Heavy
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:54 AM

I've done the calibration thing according to the manual. It seems to take my drained black book about 4 hours. I've never had a laptop so I don't know what the norm is. Just curious.

sledsbehave
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
I've done the calibration thing according to the manual. It seems to take my drained black book about 4 hours. I've never had a laptop so I don't know what the norm is. Just curious.
check yr manual, i bet it says there...

you usually get 80% in a short time, then the final 20% takes a little longer...
as ever,
sonny

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 10:54 AM

It doesn't say. Not that I found. Anyhow, I wanted real experiences with actual times. Anyone? Is it normal that it takes about as long to charge as you get use out of it? That's the way it seems.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
It doesn't say. Not that I found. Anyhow, I wanted real experiences with actual times. Anyone? Is it normal that it takes about as long to charge as you get use out of it? That's the way it seems.
It should actually take longer to charge than to discharge a battery, as more and more resistance gathers as electrons/ions accumulate in the battery resevoir, which is why the last ~20% of the battery's capacity takes exponentially longer to gather a charge. What you're experiencing is typical.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 11:35 AM

I calibrated my battery. and it took just over 3 hours to charge fully from a fully discharged state
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:18 PM

Thanks bro's

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 05:21 PM

Here's an odd question. Say I'm using my MB at home for 3-4 hours. Should I use it with the charger plugged in or use the battery? What will preserve my battery life in the longrun?
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 09:19 PM

Batteries only have a certain number of discharge cycles, so in general using it will reduce its life more than not using it. But they also have a shelf life, and will eventually lose capacity whether you use them or not. If you have an outlet nearby and its convenient to use it, do so. If not, use it on batteries.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 11:09 PM

Thank you for that thoughtful advice
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules