Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Half-life, CS, and other games

Half-life, CS, and other games
gerrygonz1
Jun 8, 2006, 04:21 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. Im thinking about buying a Powerbook, but i know they werent great for gaming. However, with Boot Camp i knew that i could install windows, and then install steam to play Half-Life and CS. Can i do this? Will these games play under Windows XP on a Powerbook Pro? Can the same be done for other games?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 05:18 PM

Yes, you can play all the Windows games under Windows on the MacBook Pro.
Beware the GPU and VRAM are underclocked, so they won't deliver the performance you'd expect from the same chips in another notebook, but they're still reasonably fast.

dr.george
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Beware the GPU and VRAM are underclocked
why is that ? can you explain ?

thanks
iMac 20 Core Duo 2.0 Ghz / 1 GB RAM / 250 GB / ATI X1600

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dr.george
why is that ? can you explain ?

thanks
Underclocked on the 15" MacBook Pro, presumably because of heat issues.

On the 17", the GPU has variable clock speeds, so it will speed up (to "full" speed) when running heavy 3D apps/games.

According to barefeats.com, the 17" is up to 40% faster than the 15" MacBook Pro.

Don't forget the MacBook (not the MB Pro) has Intel Integrated Graphics GMA950, which isn't really all that great for games.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 08:49 PM

Is everyone sure they know what he's asking? Steam isn't just your usual game. It needs Internet sockets and such...I think you should hold out until someone confirms that Steam-based games are running on MBP.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Is everyone sure they know what he's asking? Steam isn't just your usual game. It needs Internet sockets and such...I think you should hold out until someone confirms that Steam-based games are running on MBP.
Windows on any computer, Apple HP or Dell, provides everything that Steam needs. There is nothing special about Apple's hardware from the games point of view.

aadfadsfa32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 11:34 PM

I have a MBP and play CS on it. It runs great, FPS is almost always 99 (Not sure if it can any higher in this game). Only issue is that the computer runs hot and the fans are always on while I'm playing. Once I exit the fans turn off. I would imagine for prolonged play (I'm guessing hours and hours) I'd probably get a cooling pad just to be safe.

I tried playing CS: Source and FPS isn't as great. Avg around 60 I'd say. Though I haven't really messed w/ the settings or the vid card's clock settings. Hope this helps.

gerrygonz1  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 12:54 AM

Thanks alot! This is exactly what i needed to know. I just wanted to make sure i could run some of my favorite games on a Macbook pro if i get one, using Boot camp to switch to Windows. Now ill see if i will get one this weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules