Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RF Mighty Mouse

RF Mighty Mouse
Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 08:14 PM

OK we've got these new Bluetooth mice, but everyone knows that RF mice and keyboards tend to get better battery life (or so I've heard) that said nearly all shipping Macs now have RF sensors built in. Anyone think there's a chance that Apple could use these sensors to work with an RF mouse? If so I think that'd be pretty dang killer.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 08:15 PM

Nope. I think they are sticking to bluetooth although I hate it also.

I think the next move would be to switch to wireless USB.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 08:16 PM

Is there a wireless USB? And I just ask this since I heard people all the time tell me how RF wireless mice are actually pretty good on battery life, where as BT ones really aren't. Though in all honesty I don't think I'd get one even if I had a new MacBook, I love my Wacom too much

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Is there a wireless USB? And I just ask this since I heard people all the time tell me how RF wireless mice are actually pretty good on battery life, where as BT ones really aren't. Though in all honesty I don't think I'd get one even if I had a new MacBook, I love my Wacom too much
Yes RF can last for a year, it is great.

Wireless USB is not out yet but is coming damn soon. It is also super fast.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 08:21 PM

How is it on battery power?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 08:34 PM

How is it on battery power?
Really I don't know much. So far there has been no talk of putting it in wireless devices so battery life wasn't discussed.

It would be great for printers and such as you don't have to get expensive ethernet printers just to share.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 08:43 PM

For the record if you want to share a USB printer just get and AirPort Express and network it I let my mom print off my laser printer all the time, her mini doesn't even have AirPort.

That said if I could even just get something to make my tablet wireless so I didn't have to connect my USB hub to my PowerBook every time, that'd be awesome. Corrently I have a card reader, camera's cable, HD, and tablet hooked up through one hub to my PowerBook, so with the USB hub and AirPort base station I only have two cables running to my PowerBook, power and USB. I'd love to be able to kick USB off that list. Even syncing my iPod wouldn't be so tough if it were a bit slower than USB 2, it's not as if I regularly sync my iPod and then run right away. Typically I just plug it in when I get back from the gym.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 08:44 PM

Uhm.. Is not Bluetooth Radio Frequency? We seem to be talking about both radio frequencies and communication protocols, which are different things.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
It would be great for printers and such as you don't have to get expensive ethernet printers just to share.
Can't you do that already with Bluetooth printers?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Can't you do that already with Bluetooth printers?
If you are close enough. Problem was it was so so so damn slow printing a picture pretty much everyone dumped it.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 10:04 PM

Since when do all Macs have RF sensors built in? (Aside from Bluetooth and WiFi, of course, which are both also RF). If you're referring to the Apple Remote, that's IR (infrared), not RF.

"I start fires!"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 10:24 PM

RF is a more general term, but in the context of mice and keyboards it generally means the 29Mhz band.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
RF is a more general term, but in the context of mice and keyboards it generally means the 29Mhz band.
Right, but Salty said that all Macs have these sensors built in, which isn't true, as far as I know.

"I start fires!"

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Ah, okay. I would expect that a more "universal" protocol like Bluetooth would be better than relying on other proprietary protocols that differ between manufacturers.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 01:32 AM

Oh... sorry... ha my bad.

Wow... it's rare that I mix up details like that... I feel a tad bit foolish... uhh... anyway everyone... move along nothing to see here.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 02:48 AM

Oh... sorry... ha my bad.

Wow... it's rare that I mix up details like that... I feel a tad bit foolish... uhh... anyway everyone... move along nothing to see here.
Well technically you are right, as Bluetooth uses RF.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Well technically you are right, as Bluetooth uses RF.
When trying to not appear ignorant but instead well informed and intelligent, it's generally wisest to be such. Tonight, I appear ignorant, I will be honest and take my metaphoric hits to my ego.

Forum Links
Forum Rules