Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > what does it mean when there is no start up sound?

what does it mean when there is no start up sound?
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 11:38 AM

My PB has stopped making the startup sound. Have checked the volume is on and that there's no headphone jack.

I've heard that it is not a good sign. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jbleisure
My PB has stopped making the startup sound. Have checked the volume is on and that there's no headphone jack.

I've heard that it is not a good sign. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks
Hi jbleisure,
Here is the worst scenario.
Have you tried opening up system preferences (apple sign-About this Mac-More info) and checking the state of the memory slots?
Are you seeing sdram in both upper and lower memory slots OK? If you don't see any memory in the lower slot, then that slot has failed. (see other posts on this subject elseware in the PowerBook forum) Are you getting 3 beeps on start up? If so, then the problem could be a logic board failure .... I say could be ... If you still have warranty then you have no problem - although if your warranty has expired, then expect to pay the thick end of £700 for a replacement!
Sorry to be the angel of bad news ...!
Good luck
voicebox

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the useful info: It's the ram slot. lower one is showing empty even though there is a 512 ram stick in there.
Was the £700 just for the motherboard scenario or also for this? - warrenty is out.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 03:32 PM

IMPORTANT DISCOVERY:

The PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) Memory Slot Repair Extension Program is a worldwide program covering repair or replacement of the memory slot in PowerBook G4 models manufactured between January 2005 and April 2005 (2005-01 through 2005-04) that are experiencing specific component failures. If your PowerBook G4 has a serial number within the eligible range and is experiencing any of the symptoms listed below, it may be eligible for repair, free of charge. Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) will determine eligibility under the program. Repairs will be covered by Apple for up to two years from the original date of purchase even if your computer is out of warranty.
Thankfully my PB is one of the above. On to Apple tomorrow

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 03:52 PM

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2006, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by jbleisure
Hi jbleisure,
Great result, well spotted - I have just found the link myelf and I was going to post it to you!
I wish they (Apple) had admitted there was a problem in July last year when I needed a new logic board for my 15" PB after its lower memory slot failed ... but ... hey ho, twas ever thus!
You've saved yourself £700 or so - time to party - break open a flagon o' Cider!!
best
voicebox
PS: the £700+ would have been just for the logic board - the 512 ram stick you already had would have worked with the new board.
( Last edited by voicebox; Sep 5, 2006 at 04:13 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules