Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Prices higher in B&M Apple Store than online Apple Store

Prices higher in B&M Apple Store than online Apple Store
mikeschr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 10:38 PM

Something odd happened to me recently when I went to the Apple Store in Pioneer Place, Portland, OR to get a Mini. I had decided that I want to pull my iMac away from the big screen TV and use a Mini instead in that spot, and had also decided that all I needed was a basic Mini with the combo drive, but with memory upgraded to 1 GB.
So I went to the store to buy the Mini, but when I told the salesperson I wanted the combo-drive Mini with 1 GB total memory, he said it would be $330 for the memory upgrade. I replied that this seemed odd to me, because the upgrade was $100 online (after looking again, it seems to be $75), and maybe he'd misunderstood me.
He said he understood, and it's cheaper online. Has anyone else had this experience, where store personnel have quoted a higher price for the same item than online? I ended up not buying the Mini, but it still seems strange that the price was different.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 25, 2006, 08:30 AM

The Apple Store has the RAM installed at the factory - DURING ASSEMBLY. A brick and mortar store has to open the box, open the computer, put the RAM in, test it, put the computer back together, put it back in the box, etc... In other words, the local store has to use a LOT of labor to add RAM, while it's a lot quicker and easier at the factory.

Does that make sense?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2006, 09:13 AM

Plus, 3rd party memory is really expensive right now.

mikeschr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eug
Plus, 3rd party memory is really expensive right now.
I thought the Apple Store would use Apple memory. Go figure.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 25, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mikeschr
I thought the Apple Store would use Apple memory. Go figure.
There is no such thing as Apple memory really, since Apple doesn't make memory. They have the set prices for Apple factory configured stuff, but they charge the usual high Apple rates for RAM after the fact. It's especially bad now that 3rd party RAM prices are so high.

Forum Links
Forum Rules