Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Secret Service Agents Question 14 Year Old About Myspace Page

Secret Service Agents Question 14 Year Old About Myspace Page
marden
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 12:39 PM

Secret Service Agents Question 14 Year Old About Myspace Page

October 14, 2006 9:45 a.m. EST

Nicole King - All Headline News Staff Writer
Sacramento, CA (AHN) - An eighth grader was pulled out of her high school biology class and questioned by Secret Service agents Wednesday. Now her parents are saying the agents went too far.

Julia Wilson, 14, was pulled out of class after federal agents placed her on a checklist. Upset about the Iraq war, Wilson had posted a picture of President Bush on her Myspace page and wrote the words "Kill Bush" across the top with a dagger stabbing his hand.

Wilson replaced the page when she learned threats to the President are federal offenses. But agents had already seen the page. She was questioned for 15 minutes by the agents. Her parents say they should have been there. Wilson said the agents' questions led her to tears.
Her mother said an agent showed up at the family's home and spoke to her, but promised to return once her daughter was home. The school's assistant principal said he was given the impression her mother knew she would be questioned at school.

Legally, parents don't have to be present. Julia Wilson said the officers told her she could be sent to juvenile hall for making the threat. She says now, she's going to organize a student protest against the Iraq war.
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005177251

She should have gotten spanked by her parents, too!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 12:50 PM

/cue right-wing rant on the dangers of stifling free speech, and how this is one step towards fascism.

C'mon. You know you can do it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by marden
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005177251

She should have gotten spanked by her parents, too!
I love parents that side with their children... even when their children have done something very wrong.

The secret service had every right to go into the school and question the girl. If she had been placed under arrest, her parents would have been notified.

What she did was a federal offense. Even the most low end federal offenses (breaking mailboxes, mail fraud) are serious business.

Technically, they could have arrested her and charged her (an won).

If the parents sue, I think the government should charge the girl.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
/cue right-wing rant on the dangers of stifling free speech, and how this is one step towards fascism.

C'mon. You know you can do it.
Damn these jack-booted thugs in the Federal government! Don't they know about the First Amendment and our rights? Pulling a girl out of class over a MySpace page. . . . Think of her embarrassment in front of her class-mates.

<lame attempt but fun to write nonetheless>
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Damn these jack-booted thugs in the Federal government! Don't they know about the First Amendment and our rights? Pulling a girl out of class over a MySpace page. . . . Think of her embarrassment in front of her class-mates.

<lame attempt but fun to write nonetheless>
You just scored a point with me for recognizing this and admitting it.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 01:32 PM

You just scored a point with me for recognizing this and admitting it.
ooh . . . a whole point. I am flattered. So, where does this leave me in your estimation, abermojarden? I must be somewhere around -2700 points now. You gotta keep up with the compliments if I am ever going to get out of negative territory and regain any sense of positive self-worth.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 02:03 PM

That's our tax dollars at "work," folks.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 02:07 PM

So the president is afraid of a 14 year old girl?

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 02:34 PM

Actually, having talked with a Secret Service agent at length about this, high schoolers are apparently the group of people the Secret Service most "talks to".

Although he said it's mainly high schoolers counterfeiting money, but there are a lot of dumb high school kids threatening the president as well (most of the time he said it's the teachers reporting when a student says it in class).

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
What she did was a federal offense.
No, it's not.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
No, it's not.
No? Why don't you try it and then we'll find out for sure!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 03:16 PM

No, it's not.
Are you sure? I've always heard it was.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:44 PM

No, it's not.
Ahem...

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...1----000-.html

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 04:30 PM

The FBI was completely within their purview to detain and question the 14 year old girl. I understand that masses of 14 year old girls are aligning themselves with the global jihad. If left to her own devices I am certain by next year she would have beheaded her principal and installed an Islamist student government in her school.

God Bless the President!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 04:38 PM

Well, unless the Secret Service does this to check whether the parents are influencing the 14 year old to feel this way, it does seem a bit of overkill.

Also, are cops allowed to question children without notifying the parents? Does the same go for the Secret Service?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 04:43 PM

Seems that an infamous member of MacNN was interviewed by the feds for threatening Bill Clinton. Something about "sniper bait".

It's their job to investigate all threats.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 04:45 PM

14 year old girls with daggers are dangerous. She can go karate on the secret service agents and then stab the president in the head. It's definitely a real threat man.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
14 year old girls with daggers are dangerous. She can go karate on the secret service agents and then stab the president in the head. It's definitely a real threat man.
Are you saying when a federal law is broken that we should ignore the act?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 04:57 PM

My cat hates Bush and he plans to claw the president to death.

FBI should investigate any potential or real threat.
What the FBI did is not investigate, but intimidate.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 05:01 PM

I guess under the new law that congress pass, she can be toss in jail and keep there forever without a trial. She a terrorist I tell ya. Make her confess her plan to kill the president. If she doesn't confess and tell the FBI about her plan, torture her until she does.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 05:04 PM

Come on people... let's get a little perspective. I have no problem with the feds checkin up on the MySpace page. But she's just a 14-yr old kid!!!! The minute she found out what she was doing was wrong, she changed the page. Once they went to the parents house, I think they could have determined that it was just a kid being stupid. There was no need to take it any further. It was pointless intimidation. I guess that's how the feds feed their egos these days.... scaring children...

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2006, 05:35 PM

14 or 24, or 54, she did a stupid thing. She should take it like an adult and realize that the Govt HAS to investigate all threats. She should quit whining and find legal ways to protest our favorite President.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT
14 or 24, or 54, she did a stupid thing. She should take it like an adult and realize that the Govt HAS to investigate all threats. She should quit whining and find legal ways to protest our favorite President.

Excellent.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 06:03 PM

...our favorite President.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist
Come on people... let's get a little perspective. I have no problem with the feds checkin up on the MySpace page. But she's just a 14-yr old kid!!!! The minute she found out what she was doing was wrong, she changed the page. Once they went to the parents house, I think they could have determined that it was just a kid being stupid. There was no need to take it any further. It was pointless intimidation. I guess that's how the feds feed their egos these days.... scaring children...
These stupid little Bush bashers think it's a game. Many of you encourage and inspire such actions and activity. Where do you think she got the idea? If you want your tax dollars wasted on sending the Secret Service out to check out these threats just keep on protesting and keep on inspiring these mindless little ones who only do what they are told or what they see as being cool.

THEY have an excuse. You all should be smarter. Too bad that's not the case.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 06:06 PM

So you're saying the President is afraid of a 14-year-old girl.

That should be grounds for impeachment right there.
Chuck
___

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 06:25 PM

If the FBI spend 1 hr doing any investigation, they would have known the girl is no threat. A 14 year old girl who threatens to kill the President with a dagger? Come on now. She lives in California. What is she going do? Buy a plane ticket to Washington DC. Go buy a dagger. Find out where the President is. Get pass secret service. Ask the President to lower his head so she could stab him in the head?

That's not a real or even potential threat. It's no investigation, it's intimidation.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
The FBI was completely within their purview to detain and question the 14 year old girl. I understand that masses of 14 year old girls are aligning themselves with the global jihad. If left to her own devices I am certain by next year she would have beheaded her principal and installed an Islamist student government in her school.

God Bless the President!

The Secret Service needs to take every threat seriously. It seems like a good idea to ignore threats that seem ridiculous until the threats manifest themselves.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit

No, I am saying you're ugly and your momma dresses you funny...

Do you REALLY think the Secret Service needs the 'ok' from the President on all investigations from counterfeit money to pimple faced kids in Che Guevara shirts making threats?

This just in: President George W. Bush canceled a Defense staff meeting and his vacation so he can interview secretary and janitor positions open within the Secret Service Dept... Cuz ya know, he is all up in their business.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 06:46 PM

Yes. Terrified. She's the target of the war on terror because he's terrified of a 14 y/o girl.

God bless America. People can function here with so little common sense or basic knowledge of life or government.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
If the FBI spend 1 hr doing any investigation, they would have known the girl is no threat. A 14 year old girl who threatens to kill the President with a dagger? Come on now. She lives in California. What is she going do? Buy a plane ticket to Washington DC. Go buy a dagger. Find out where the President is. Get pass secret service. Ask the President to lower his head so she could stab him in the head?

That's not a real or even potential threat. It's no investigation, it's intimidation.
Well, if that's the way you feel, they should of throwed her ass in jail.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 07:03 PM

Ugh. Get some perspective. No one is arguing that they shouldn't investigate. After 10 minutes with the parents, I'm sure it was obvious the 14 yr old school girl was not a threat to the president. There was absolutely no reason to take it any further.

And no... she shouldn't take it as an adult....cuz she isn't an adult. She used the judgement of a 14 year old. And she screwed up... and once she found out she screwed up... she corrected it.

What happened to reason? Why does everything have to be black and white?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2006, 07:10 PM

Reason? Well, its reasonable to empathize with the Feds having to investigate all of these bullsh- threats, so to make sure they do not have to return to this girl's home again, they gave her the serious version of federal law. I bet she won't be doing it again. Job well done.
As long as they were within their legal right for all of their actions, I have no problem with this. She didnt go to jail, or Juvi, she was just given a stern talking to.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 07:26 PM

Ugh. Get some perspective. No one is arguing that they shouldn't investigate. After 10 minutes with the parents, I'm sure it was obvious the 14 yr old school girl was not a threat to the president. There was absolutely no reason to take it any further.

And no... she shouldn't take it as an adult....cuz she isn't an adult. She used the judgement of a 14 year old. And she screwed up... and once she found out she screwed up... she corrected it.

What if she knew something that had escaped all other detection and this girl could give them info that led them to something important?

THAT's a reason.

Like what?

Her friend who was always telling her that her big brother would love to meet her because of how she felt about the prez.

And then they check on the big brother and he is involved with a student group against the war and one of the students in the group...

Need I say more?

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 07:29 PM

You haven't an investigative mindset or experience to know why that investigation was important or what it means, so please stop spreading your lack of knowledge as though you know about such things, ok?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2006, 09:10 PM

If I'd seen that page while on active duty, I would have been REQUIRED to report it. "Any and all threats against the president" whether I think they're credible or not, are reportable. Who knows just from looking at a MySpace page who the person who posted it is and what's behind what they post?

And the PARENTS didn't post the stuff on MySpace, the kid did, so why should the parents be there? In 15 minutes the Secret Service determined that this was a stupid kid who did a stupid thing and that was it. They didn't arrest her, they didn't charge her, they didn't apprehend her. They just questioned her-and not in any criminal investigation-type manner either.

With all that said, I wish the world was kind and gentle enough that anyone could afford to say "that's just a kid's idiot rant-forget it." and do so safely. Too bad it's not that way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 10:21 PM

Nice spin...

Ummm, no, the secret service is enforcing our laws.

If some 14 year old smashed your mailbox or stole your mail, I bet you would be fuming if the secret service said "oh, it's just a 14 year old girl. Is she a threat to the postal service?"

The message I see is that the secret service takes any and all threats to the presidents life VERY SERIOUSLY. Regardless of age... you don't threaten the president in the US... period. Regardless of weather you like him or hate him.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
With all that said, I wish the world was kind and gentle enough that anyone could afford to say "that's just a kid's idiot rant-forget it." and do so safely. Too bad it's not that way.
Apparently it is that way. In case you missed the end of the story, she didn't pose any threat. It's just like when pimply geeks on the Internet tell you to DIAF, that's not really grounds to call the police.
Chuck
___

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 10:29 PM

No, it's not.
As pointed out earlier... yes it is.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 10:33 PM

Apparently it is that way. In case you missed the end of the story, she didn't pose any threat. It's just like when pimply geeks on the Internet tell you to DIAF, that's not really grounds to call the police.
I'm sure if she did have some knowledge about some pending attack... and they wouldn't have followed up... many of you bashing the secret service would be bashing them for not being diligent enough.

"For crying out loud... she had a myspace page!!!"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 10:40 PM

I'm sure some people will bash Bush for consorting with aliens. I'd criticize those people for being unreasonable just like I'm criticizing the Secret Service for being unreasonable now.

Seriously, if they were so unsure she posed any threat that their concerns could be allayed in 15 minutes, they were really just harassing a girl for no reason. I wouldn't blame Glenn for reporting it if he had to, and I wouldn't even blame them for looking into it, but pulling a kid out of class? Give me a break.
Chuck
___

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 11:37 PM

YOU DON'T KNOW.

That is why they call it INVESTIGATION.

Definition of investigate (verb)
to study or examine all information about an event, situation or charge; to search for the truth
To examine ALL INFORMATION about an event, situation or charge; to search for the TRUTH

It's clear to me now why some of you post as you do. You are content with superficial truths.

Superficial truths can get you fired in some businesses. In the world of law enforcement superficial truths mean the wrong person goes to prison or death row, superficial truths mean someone walks free who shouldn't. Superficial truths mean more people are victimized when their predator should have been caught. Superficial truths could get the President killed and make you a footnote to history and your grandchildren ashamed to mention your name in public.

The Secret Service have to investigate each one to make sure there is nothing to worry about. And if there IS something to worry about they will continue to investigate until the threat is eliminated.
( Last edited by marden; Oct 14, 2006 at 11:53 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 11:49 PM

And they just can't investigate without pulling a 14-year-old girl out of class because she posted a not-particularly-threatening picture on MySpace? I would like to have more faith in the abilities of the Secret Service than that.
Chuck
___

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 11:55 PM

And they just can't investigate without pulling a 14-year-old girl out of class because she posted a not-particularly-threatening picture on MySpace? I would like to have more faith in the abilities of the Secret Service than that.
How many times have kids provided clues which led to arrests? Do you know, Chuckit?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2006, 12:19 AM

I bet that kid was a terrorist. We should ban little kids from being terrorists... Marden, tell us how dangerous kids are to the world.

EDIT: he already is...

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I bet that kid was a terrorist. We should ban little kids from being terrorists... Marden, tell us how dangerous kids are to the world.

EDIT: he already is...
Results 1 - 30 of about 24,400,000 for 14 year old killers. (0.13 seconds)
CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Nation :: 'Grand Theft Auto' makers blamed ...
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Family members of three people slain by a 14-year-old on newsman ... Prosecutors described Posey as a ruthless killer, but his lawyers ...
Chicago Sun-Times :: Nation :: 72320,CST-NWS-donaldson26.article - 81k - Oct 13, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Marxism message, [Marxism] Training 14 year old killers
To: marxism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Subject: [Marxism] Training 14 year old killers; From: Louis Proyect <lnp3@xxxxxxxxx>; Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:50:00 - ...
archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/ marxism/2005w22/msg00172.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Blogcritics.org: Christopher Pittman: 12-year Old Killer Charged ...
Culture: Christopher Pittman: 12-year Old Killer Charged As An Adult - This morning I ... If your 14- & 15 year olds don't know right from wrong by now, ...
blogcritics.org/archives/2005/02/20/153505.php - 97k - Cached - Similar pages

New twist to Manhunt murder allegations // GamesIndustry.biz
... when the mother of the victim claimed that 17-year-old killer Warren LeBlanc had ... this new information does raise questions about how the 14-year-old ...
New twist to Manhunt murder allegations // GamesIndustry.biz - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Unexplained Mysteries Discussion Forums > 14 year old child killer ...
Full Version: 14 year old child killer, Jesse Pomeroy ... Fourteen year old murderer Jesse Pomeroy has been reprieved from hanging. ...
Unexplained Mysteries :: Paranormal Phenomena and the Worlds Greatest Unexplained Mysteries forum/lofiversion/index.php/t72020.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Results 1 - 30 of about 247,000 for youthful murderers. (0.13 seconds)
Facing Down Violence
A very small number of youthful murderers have a mental illness or are emotionally disturbed. Those who are appear to be influenced by their own auditory ...
Index of /documents jgilgun/facing/facing.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

[1]search | [2]site index | [3]faq | [4]about us | [5]what's new ...
Violence and Emotional Disturbance A very small number of youthful murderers have a mental illness or are emotionally disturbed. Those who are appear to be ...
http://www.mincava.umn.edu/documents...ing/facing.txt - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from MINCAVA Electronic Clearinghouse ]

SSSITALK Archives, January, 1999 - Present: RE: School Violence
Violence has deep meanings to youthful perpetrators.. How can we identify other potential youthful murderers before they act? ...
venus.soci.niu.edu/~archives/SSSITALK/jan99/0272.html - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Liesl Orenic - Murder in New York City (review) - Journal of ...
While most murderers and their vicitms were in the prime of their lives, Monkonnen discovered a high proportion of youthful murderers. ...
muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_ of_social_history/v036/36.1orenic.html - Similar pages

Amazon.com: Reviews for Fiend: The Shocking True Story Of Americas ...
It's nice to know that youthful murderers are not just a recent phenomenon. Jesse Pomeroy makes Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold seem like choirboys. ...
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more Fiend-Shocking-Americas-Youngest-Killer/dp/customer-reviews/067101448X - 83k - Cached - Similar pages

Amazon.com: Children Who Murder: A Psychological Perspective ...
preteen homicide, youthful homicide perpetrators, preteen murderers, preteen offenders, juvenile homicide offenders, youthful murderers, blended sentencing, ...
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more Children-Who-Murder-Psychological-Perspective/dp/0275966186 - 99k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more ]

Marijuana, Assassin of Youth
The boy who plans a holdup, the youth who seizes a gun and prepares for a murder, the girl who decides suddenly to elope with a boy she did not even know a ...
Marijuana, Assassin of Youth - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

Book Reviews - Last Chance in Texas: The Redemption of Criminal Youth
Last Chance in Texas: The Redemption of Criminal Youth ... courage join with the professional staff to confront youthful murderers or attempted murderers ...
xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/spring06/lastchance.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] spring 2004 lrl
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
staff to confront youthful murderers or attempted mur-. derers with the ongoing pain they have caused. The methods employed by the staff at the Giddings ...
xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/spring06/lastchance.pdf - Similar pages

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2006, 12:29 AM

Damn it Marden.... now I will have nightmares tonight. Why did you have to do that?

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Damn it Marden.... now I will have nightmares tonight. Why did you have to do that?
Why don't you just take my word for things, then?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2006, 12:41 AM

How many times have kids provided clues which led to arrests? Do you know, Chuckit?
Gee, how many kids have assaulted the president? Let me think for a while…

Oh, yeah: Zero.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2006, 12:53 AM

Why don't you just take my word for things, then?

Maybe you're right, Dwight Shroot. I will amend my ways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules