Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where can I find the Mac Pro for the best price

Where can I find the Mac Pro for the best price
Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2006, 02:21 PM

I live in the Middle East and someone I know is coming from the US end of January so I'm thinking about ordering a Mac Pro from the US as the price difference is almost $550 for the 2.66GHz version when compared to Apple's $2495 price.

Is there any other place that I can order from that could cost a bit less? The warranty is International is that wont be an issue. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that the unit will be with the luggage but I'm guessing that its probably as bad as getting this couriered by plane in the US as well.

Thanks
-a

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2006, 02:30 PM

don't know if there is academic pricing outside the US, but you could check with friends who are at colleges and see if they can get some kind of discount and you buy it through them

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2006, 03:25 PM

hmm...dont really know anyone in College...any discounts for doctors? My brother is a doctor in the US and he will be coming down here in Dec.

-a

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
hmm...dont really know anyone in College...any discounts for doctors? My brother is a doctor in the US and he will be coming down here in Dec.

-a
Does your brother do any kind of teaching? He could get a discount that way.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 05:54 PM

Or if you can order it online, consider the refurbished page on Apple's website.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas View Post

-a

Most physicians especially residents, are associated with a college. Most likely, he is going to have some sort of faculty card.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2006, 01:34 AM

I arleady checked the refurbished store but they dont have any Mac Pro at the moment. And my brother is an Oncologist and as far asI know, not affiliated with any college- although I will still ask him.

If found it at Abe's for $2350 which isnt a bad price, right?
Apple MA356LL/A Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.66GHz Dual Core Desktop - abesofmaine.com/dev Cameras and Electronics

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2006, 09:56 AM

Before going to some obscure little shop in some obscure little state, why not go to Amazon? $2500 less $200 MIR.

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2006, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Before going to some obscure little shop in some obscure little state, why not go to Amazon? $2500 less $200 MIR.
Thanks- took your suggestion and did exactly that. Cant wait to get my Mac Pro end of this month. I hope Apple doesnt upgrade it or lower the price at their event a week after

Forum Links
Forum Rules