Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Kensington Spillproof Keyboard

Kensington Spillproof Keyboard
johnnypark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 10:14 AM

Does anyone know if this board will work on a Mac? Every product description reads that it works with Windows, but no mention of OS X. I know it's not sexy, but I usually eat when I'm on my PowerMac G5, and 2 keyboards later...

Kensington Keyboard For Life Spillproof Keyboard (Black) 64370 at TigerDirect.com

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 10:40 AM

It should wok fine, but it'll probably have a Windoze key.

johnnypark  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac View Post
It should wok fine, but it'll probably have a Windoze key.
Will the Windoze key act as a command/apple key for my mac?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 20, 2006, 01:50 PM

Good question, johnny. On my dual platform Kensington keyboard, the Windows key (it really bugs me when people who don't use Windows make fun of it...) is also marked "OPT" and the Alt key has the Apple on it. Whether it's this way with the Spillproof or not, you can map the keys to suit yourself courtesy of OS X.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

johnnypark  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Good question, johnny. On my dual platform Kensington keyboard, the Windows key (it really bugs me when people who don't use Windows make fun of it...) is also marked "OPT" and the Alt key has the Apple on it. Whether it's this way with the Spillproof or not, you can map the keys to suit yourself courtesy of OS X.
Thanks (and sorry if I offended you). I forgot about the OS X key mapping feature. My main concern is whether (since it is not a dual platform board) it will even work on my G5.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
it really bugs me when people who don't use Windows make fun of it...
Subtle, harmless joke...Mac forum...sosumi For the record, I was at my work PC when I wrote that

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 20, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac View Post
Subtle, harmless joke...Mac forum...sosumi For the record, I was at my work PC when I wrote that
That's generally the case-it's almost always someone who DOES work with Windows that uses this little joke. And in that case it IS a joke. But the folks who are "Mac purists" and would never soil themselves to touch a PC are the ones that really bug me. And I hadn't had enough coffee this morning when I posted that...

It's a philosophical thing with me-being a Computer Scientist, I often find that "brand bigots" are more than clueless, and of course that means they're smug about their ignorance.

Anyway, nothing more to see here, citizens. Go about your lives...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules