Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > How to triple boot osx, xp and another xp!

How to triple boot osx, xp and another xp!
jansan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 09:44 PM

Gentlemen,
Is there anybody that wants to do something exoctic as just installing and addtitional xp on his macbook?
After 2 days of hours of installing and reading, i am back at square one, a dualbooting osx and xp setup.

I have been using my macbook with XP and OSX for the last 3 months. My job requires me to use XP for business. For many reasons i want to be able to install a second XP and keep the first in pristine condition. And for now do not wish to install vista.

With the instructions on "diskutil resizevolume" i have created 3 visible partitions (apart from the efi partition and 128 mb)
partition 2 osx-hfs
partition 3 ntfs (intended second XP install)
partition 4 ntfs current bootable xp setup

Installation of XP on partition 4 goes without a hitch, and has been working without problems since i bought the macbook.

When i install XP on partition 3, the installation runs until XP wants to reboot and boots for the first time from the partition. then it crashes with saying lsass, password missing, ntldr missing etc.

I was assuming that with rEFIt booting into partition 4 (the last partition as designed by bootcamp) allowed me to select partition 3 and 4 from XP bootmenu (boot.ini), however part4 works fine, part3 doesnt.

Questions:
- Is it possible to have multiple bootable XP partition on my macbook ?
- Is it possible at all to have this setup with XP also booting into an partition3
- Do others have a working setup with xp 32bits?
- Am i forced to install vista and its bootmanager, since i read about this setup enough?
- Is there another bootloader i might try that will give me a osx/xp/xp setup.

Any tips or the multimilliondollar-answer are greatly appreciated.

Jan

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 05:57 PM

I don't think its possible, unless you do major hacking.
Signature depreciated.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 06:16 PM

Could you use an external disc to boot the second XP?

jansan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Could you use an external disc to boot the second XP?
Given what i read here and there running it from an external disk must be possible. But that is not the desired result.

My desired setup:
- osx, personal use
- xp, personal use
- xp, business use.

So question possible or not

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by jansan View Post
Given what i read here and there running it from an external disk must be possible. But that is not the desired result.

My desired setup:
- osx, personal use
- xp, personal use
- xp, business use.

So question possible or not
Not sure. Apple's Boot Camp setup utility can create only one Windows partition. But, try this...

Set up with Boot Camp a Windows partition big enough to hold both your Windows XP installs (i.e., if you want 10GB for each, set up a 20GB Boot Camp partition).

Insert the Windows XP SP2 install CD and boot the machine according to the Boot Camp utility's instructions.

From the Windows installer, re-partition your new blank 20GB partition in to two partitions (make sure you don't accidentally blow away your MacOS X partition).

Install Windows for personal use on one of those partitions, and Windows for business use on the other.

Not sure if you'll have to use the Windows OS selector to choose which XP install to boot, or if the MacOS's boot selector will work. I have 3 operating systems on my Mac (OS X, Win XP and Win Vista), and each is recognized by the Mac's boot selector (Option key during boot), but each is on a separate hard drive, not all on one drive.

Try it and let us know if it works.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2007, 09:58 PM

I don't trust the Windows partition manager to not screw up the rest of the disk. Windows can't even see an HFS+ partition, and in rewriting the drive's partition table it may screw EVERYTHING up.

And Windows does not like booting from an external drive. It "can" be done, but it's a royal PITA to set it up and I wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand, two separate user accounts in XP would be almost as good as two separate instances of XP. You can completely isolate them from each other so that even programs you install in as one user aren't visible to the other (and vice versa of course).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 10:08 PM

Out of interest, why do you want two installs?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah, why doesn't he just make another admin account?
Signature depreciated.

jansan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2007, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Not sure. Apple's Boot Camp setup utility can create only one Windows partition. But, try this...

From the Windows installer, re-partition your new blank 20GB partition in to two partitions (make sure you don't accidentally blow away your MacOS X partition).

Install Windows for personal use on one of those partitions, and Windows for business use on the other.

Try it and let us know if it works.
Hi Cadaver, tried this, doing partitioning with windows screws the whole disk, had to start all over again. AS confirmed, vista and xp works, as for xp and xp, i have not found a definite NO, but thats what i expect.

XP install with many tools, which i am only willing to abandon after my clean install works for 3 months. Paranoid?

greets
Jan

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 06:58 PM

Paranoid
Probably a little - a backup that you can restore to might be an easier strategy.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2007, 01:24 PM

Mmm... use Partition Magic to split the Windows partition and install it there .. so when you switch on your Mac and choose Windows from the bootmenu you will get a 2nd menu asking which Windows you would like to boot .. I didn't try it, but see now reason why it shouldn't work...
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2007, 02:15 PM

Partition Magic does not recognize HFS+ partitions. It could hose your boot disk but good. If you do this, go VERY carefully and make sure you have a full back up. IRRC Boot Magic depends on Partition Magic's ability to mark partitions, so that would be a suspect route too.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2007, 02:32 PM

Ok, maybe you missunderstood me ...

I mean you boot up your Windows partition (bootcamp) and once windows booted up you will be able to see the Windows partition which you have created with bootcamp only anyway. You partition the bootcamp Windows partition within windows. This will split the windows bootcamp partition within windows .. Insert the CD then and install another windows copy on that newly created partition.

So when you installed bootcamp and created a windows partition of 20 GB you can then use partition magic within windows to split this partition to 10 GB ..
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post
Ok, maybe you missunderstood me ...

I mean you boot up your Windows partition (bootcamp) and once windows booted up you will be able to see the Windows partition which you have created with bootcamp only anyway. You partition the bootcamp Windows partition within windows. This will split the windows bootcamp partition within windows .. Insert the CD then and install another windows copy on that newly created partition.

So when you installed bootcamp and created a windows partition of 20 GB you can then use partition magic within windows to split this partition to 10 GB ..
Partition Magic STILL has to access the drive's partition table-which is a structure ALL partitions depend on, including the HFS+ partition OS X is on. Since PM doesn't handle or even recognize HFS+, it could corrupt the settings in the partition table and lose your OS X partition. It doesn't matter what OS you're running--ANY partition manager MUST access the one and only partition table for that disk.

If there's a trick around this, I'm not aware of it.

jansan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post

ghporter is right, it will hose the whole disk. i tried the partition manager that comes with XP's install, that kills it.

So far i have only heard about "in theory this must be possible". Have not heard from anyone that has a dual XP setup running.

RamonetB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jansan View Post
Hi Cadaver, tried this, doing partitioning with windows screws the whole disk, had to start all over again. AS confirmed, vista and xp works, as for xp and xp, i have not found a definite NO, but thats what i expect.

XP install with many tools, which i am only willing to abandon after my clean install works for 3 months. Paranoid?

greets
Jan
Hey Jansan,

I know this post is a bit outdated, but you've confirmed that OS X, Vista, and XP works? This is what I'm after. I don't suppose you can detail for me how you managed this little feat? Is it really as simple as using diskutil to partition 2 additional partitions and use rEFIt?

jansan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RamonetB View Post
Hey Jansan,

I know this post is a bit outdated, but you've confirmed that OS X, Vista, and XP works? This is what I'm after. I don't suppose you can detail for me how you managed this little feat? Is it really as simple as using diskutil to partition 2 additional partitions and use rEFIt?
yes it is. Actually only this week i bit the bullet and installed vista in partition 3 (XP is always the last part, in my case part 4)

now i am triplebooting osx, vista and xp.

Not sure if refit is required, as i had it already, but works fine.

cheers,
Jan

RamonetB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 03:08 PM

I'm assuming XP always needs to be the last partition otherwise the HAL complains?

Forum Links
Forum Rules