Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Powerpoint has begun to crash

Powerpoint has begun to crash
Buck_W
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 12:32 PM

My wife has been working on a Powerpoint presentation on her iMac G5. Everything was operating smoothly, but now the application continues to crash. It's part of the Office 2004 Suite. Anybody have any suggestions?

It's reminiscent of the memory shortage problems back in the pre-OS X days. You no longer have to allot additional memory to specific applications in OS X, do you?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2007, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Buck_W View Post
It's reminiscent of the memory shortage problems back in the pre-OS X days. You no longer have to allot additional memory to specific applications in OS X, do you?
No, nothing like that.

It's definitely a problem with PowerPoint. I haven't used 2004, but Office X had serious crash issues, especially with some fonts. You might have to try opening it in Keynote instead (which is far superior to PPT anyway).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 07:01 AM

As Haddock said, there is absolutely nothing like classic style static memory allocation in OS X. Did you trash the preferences? Can you post a crash log?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 09:40 PM

Is it all presentations loaded in PowerPoint that cases a crash, or just the one particular that your wife was working on? What happens if you make a new presentation?

Its possible a corrupted picture file or font she put in the presentation is causing the crash. A corruption in the document itself could also be the culprit. Do you have a backup to try?

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think it's probably a corrupted file within the presentation. She is using some educational templates that were created on a PC. When she creates her own presentations in PP, there is no problem. I've suggested that she use Keynote (which I use regularly and exclusively), but she's more familiar with PP.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules