Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 802.11n and the MacPro

802.11n and the MacPro
ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2007, 01:40 AM

Here it is I am getting my first MacPro, and have been a long time IMac (and performa) user. If I was to get the MacPro 2.66GHz + AirPort Extreme Base Station. Now I know that the Mac pro will need something added to the tower to compleat the network. Now know that my eMac needed a Airport card to go wireless. I also know I will not be able to use the one from eMac. So what is the last part to the puzzle do I need the "AirPort Extreme Card" (part # M8881LL/A) or the "Airport Extreme Wireless Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro"(part # MA688Z/B)
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2007, 02:23 AM

The latter.

ESavage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2007, 06:57 PM

I already got bought my MacPro form MacMall, well it shipped that is, still waiting to get it. I was just wondering if I needed to get, to go wireless. I thought it was going to be as simple as adding a AirPort Extreme Card. That when I came across this post with the "Airport Extreme Wireless Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro", which must be installed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. what I am wondering now is since I got this computer from MacMall will my local Apple Store put it in for me?
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2007, 09:07 PM

Short answer: yes. Long answer, it's better if you take the MP in and tell them what you want than for you to buy the upgrade kit separately and take it to them. MUCH better. More expensive, yes, but the whole process will go much more smoothly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules