Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iphone impact on rumor new imac design...?

iphone impact on rumor new imac design...?
darksol360
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 07:22 PM

Seeing as the design of Apple hardware followed closely with the iPod's (screen in the upper half-ish, leno jaw on the bottom, white finish, uber-metro-industrial, etc) doesn't it sound plausible that with the iPhone being the next greatest thing since BDS =D, this will follow suit?

Think about it. Rumors of eliminating the "leno jaw" for a more symetrical look. Imagine an Apple display, about as thick as the current iMacs, but black (yes!) with a strip of aluminum around it. More round edges, bright, raised, silver and shiny Apple logo somewhere. LED lighting. This would turn heads no doubt, just look how good the basic Macbooks look in black. It would definately make the statement Apple usually makes every 2-4 years.

I wish I was good at photoshopping, but imagine this (maybe someone can work on this, getting it going on the web). Take your basic iPhone image, put two together (eliminate the silver border converge), black out the screen images, increase to about 5-7 times the size, put a silver pedestal, add black and silver Mighty Mouse and keyboard and viola! I think we are on to something...

Think how many Mac computers were sold by the influence of the tiny iPod... (me included)...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2007, 08:13 PM

This is your first post? I don't trust you yet.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 08:39 PM

I'm very confused here.
Signature depreciated.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 09:02 PM

Proud of you.®

Salty
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 09:12 PM

How bout a touch screen keyboard?

Actually could kinda see them trying that. It'd be great for things like Photoshop, audio editing, that sorta thing. Think about a mixing board popping up over your keyboard? How bout being able to use half your keyboard as a tablet? The big thing about the iPhone is multi touch. If that makes it to Macs then we may be golden.

As far as design they do seem to be moving toward black as a colour. I'd love to see them keep white though and have either black and silver or white and silver as options. I'd genuinely like to see a white iPhone and would actually prefer that to the black.
On the MacBook side it'd be sweet to have the bottom chunk be a touch screen, and have aluminium lid and underside. Do it kinda like a DS.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 09:47 PM

Black is the new black.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Black is the new black.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 10:18 PM

A poster by the name of Joel Fagin created this mock-up, which he posted on AppleInsider.com.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 10:32 PM

Wow. That looks cool.

design219
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 10:36 PM

As long as you don't have to touch the edges. Chrome looks like crap when finger prints are there.

The iPhone edges are small enough they won't be that obvious.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 10:49 PM

Am I the only one that really likes the dell screens for their range of motion? It would be nice if apple could give us at least some of the abilities of the dell screens. Adding video input to the imac would also be nice for those of us with laptops that want more screen real estate but don't want to buy another screen.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

darksol360  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 10:57 PM

I'm a very new switcher, so I was unaware of that mock up (which basically is what I had in mind). Very cool, I dug it! (My wife wants to keep the white look). She can keep this white iMac, I can get this! =D

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 11:04 PM

I never quite liked the G5 iMac. In designing the next iMac, I would rather that Apple turn its attention back to balance, proportion, and uniqueness, as was the case with the lampshade iMac.

Plus, I don't like the idea of taking a very nice portable design and stretching out its dimensions to make a desktop. I'm sure Apple design purists (aka fanboys) like myself would agree: each product should have a form which expresses the product's use.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by darksol360 View Post
I'm a very new switcher, so I was unaware of that mock up (which basically is what I had in mind). Very cool, I dug it! (My wife wants to keep the white look). She can keep this white iMac, I can get this! =D
I dunno. It looks "PC" to me, for some reason--not distinctive. I don't like it.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 25, 2007, 12:02 AM

Yeah, it kinda looks like a Samsung display I saw today, too PC-ish
Signature depreciated.

highstakes
Senior User
May 25, 2007, 01:40 AM

the side kinda reminds me of a dell

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
How bout a touch screen keyboard?
Well I don't know how that would "feel" to someone who types a lot, but for me that would be awesome.

Just think of the possibilities.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2007, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
A poster by the name of Joel Fagin created this mock-up, which he posted on AppleInsider.com.
Just think of the intro.

A movie of just the screen of the iPhone plays reviewing all the cool things that it does, then it turns sideways and accesses a picture of a mac desktop. Then it expands and fills the whole screen of the iPhone and the camera pans out revealing the pedestal, keyboard and mouse with the words above: "Say hello iMac."

Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Forum Links
Forum Rules