Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > GREAT news for PS3 owners!

GREAT news for PS3 owners!
mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 12:56 PM

Today Sony released an excellent new firmware upgrade!

* The PS3 can now upscale your DVDs up to 1080p resolution.
* Also for people with 720p native sets (like myself) can playback Blu-ray movies at 720p.
* PS/PS2 games can also be upscaled to 1080p resolution.
* Then they have added the ability to use the Remote Play with a PSP over the internet and some DNLA streaming features for media which I haven't checked out yet.

After going through a few of my DVDs I must say that the upscaling feature does an absolutely fantastic job! Just watched a few scenes from The Incredibles and it looked exactly that. If you were to watch the movie at HD resolution you would definitely be able to see more texture detail in the wider shots but, wow, the image is so unbelievably sharp and the colors are vastly improved. I also was watching X-Men 3 when my roommate came home and he said, "Ah you finally caved in and bought it on Blu-ray". When I told him it was my DVD copy he was floored. I have seen the Blu-ray version and it does look better but boy Sony really nailed this update.

My friend has a Oppo DV-981HD and that is the best looking upscaling DVD player I have seen in action and while it is better than the PS3's image quality, the PS3 still gets pretty close. For a gaming console's video playback capability I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

I'm telling you, these internet connected next gen system across the board never cease to amaze me how they can update and upgrade all these features simply through the internet with minimal hassle. Not only that, these companies really seem to be listening to the users feedback and requests. I was just thinking earlier how the 360 has improved feature wise throughout its lifecycle. They improved the somewhat mediocre DVD playback across the board and then offered upscaling capability through VGA, numerous dashboard updates including the Video Marketplace (which is a fantastic idea, although I never really use it), backwards compatibility improvements, and last but not least the HD DVD audio update which was an exponential improvement in the audio quality, especially the dynamic range.

Then you have the PS3 with these current updates which seriously make me very happy putting life back into my DVD collection. Not only that, right after the PS3 was released it had some serious scaling issues with PS2 games which produced extremely sub par image quality with jagged edges covering the screen, to being able to scale games up to 1080p resolution.

Good times.

Oh yeah, can't forget the Wii, got the browser update, I can vote channel (or whatever) and they are adding more virtual console games all the time. All three companies are delivering without a doubt. Competition is good. (Yeah Nintendo is taking smaller steps but you gotta love them.)

Man, between this update on the PS3 and the audio update on the HD DVD addon for the 360 I am one happy camper. Never really thought consoles could make such great movie players. (Especially happy about the PS3 improvements since it is practically nothing but a video player for me.)

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2007, 04:12 PM

Is this for the US/JP model or just the EU model?

torifile
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 05:02 PM

US model, as well. I updated last night. There are quite a few other video settings you can change too, though I haven't figured out what they are. I turned on "Full RGB" and "Superwhite" and I swear that Resistance and Calling All Cars looked better.

PS2 games look tons better, too.

edit: Sony explains some of the settings.
( Last edited by torifile; May 24, 2007 at 05:08 PM. )

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Is this for the US/JP model or just the EU model?
Worldwide release

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2007, 05:46 PM

Oh yeah. I updated. While upconverting does not work through component on protected DVD's, all of my home movie and "backup" DVDs of titles that I own do upscale through component.

If you have non-HDMI HDTV like I do, this is awesome news.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2007, 10:53 PM

Yeah, the update is definitely excellent. The upscaling has truly breathed new life into my old DVDs. Also since the PS3 can scale Blu-ray titles to true 720p the image quality is vastly improved on my display. Since 1080i sources are scaled down to 540p then scaled up to 720p. Overall it has made the PS3 a phenomenal Blu-ray/DVD player which makes me incredibly happy since the games are lacking but being a HT fanatic I am yet even more satisfied with my purchase.

highstakes
Senior User
May 27, 2007, 03:51 AM

I saw the pictures of God of War 2 and some other games on the PS3...must say, been really impressed!

Forum Links
Forum Rules