Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > NAND memory corruptable from software crashes?

NAND memory corruptable from software crashes?
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2007, 08:31 AM

The recent slew of hard crashes (requires reboot) on my iPhone has lead me to ponder: Can the NAND storage of the iPhone become corrupt (entirely or partially) from software errors? In other words, can my iPhone's physical integrity be damaged due to all these crashes? This may be an ignorant question, but I can't find a source ("Genius" Bar included) that can answer this one way or another. Your thoughts?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2007, 09:24 AM

Most likely not.

The iPhone supposedly has two 512 Megabit SDRAM chips (equal to 128 MB RAM) stacked underneath the main CPU die. This is what the OS and applications would use when actually running, and it's just like the RAM you have in your computer.

I suppose it's possible that an application crash could cause data corruption in the flash storage if it was trying to write to the filesystem while it crashed (which may compound any software problems until you restore the device), but I highly doubt any software activity could result in the physical damage of the NAND flash.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2007, 09:36 AM

Excellent, logical answer. Thanks much!

Forum Links
Forum Rules