Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best way to clean a MBP?

Best way to clean a MBP?
Cedar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2007, 02:05 PM

My computer needs to be cleans at all times, and if it's not, it bugs me. Having this said, what is the best way to clean all the little smudges and lint that infests our macbook pro's?

Keyboard/Case/Screen needs to be cleaned.

Cheers-
-Cedar

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2007, 02:36 PM

Mine doesn't get lint on it. But sometimes it does get smudges. I just put a couplr drops of water on the screen or casing and wipe it away with a paper towel. Seems to work fine.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 02:57 PM

I had an idiot (Apple Genius Bar) tell me you can't use water to clean the casing. They claim that is what lifted the paint on mine so they won't have to service it.

BTW Yes. I am serious.

marsbt
Jul 13, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I had an idiot (Apple Genius Bar) tell me you can't use water to clean the casing. They claim that is what lifted the paint on mine so they won't have to service it.

BTW Yes. I am serious.
does apple use water paints for their Macs
Firefox: Add Of The Week

Cedar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 02:26 AM

I just tried water on the smudges. Worked like a charm! Thankyou!

sonicj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 01:58 AM

a damp lens cloth for smudges seems to do the trick safely. i use a damp paper towel sometimes, damp terry cloth others, my t-shirt, compressed air for the embedded doritos.

i wiped my ibook mouse years ago with a damp rag while it was on. not good! the trackpad died for 2 days, but then magically resurrected itself.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2007, 12:08 PM

well if the water gets underneath the paint maybe but i cant see that happening very easily.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2007, 07:01 PM

High quality paper towel very slightly damp with filtered water. Every time on the screen, and usually on the base. Sometimes, I use alcohol on the aluminum to clean stuff that gets on it, including when there was stuff on my hands (lotion or food, not anything really nasty) when I put them on the palm rests.

Can someone tell me where the paint is on a MacBook Pro? My case is brushed metal, as are my keys. The bezel on the screen looks like pigmented plastic, not painted plastic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2007, 09:24 PM

The aluminum is anodized, there is no paint to strip, I don't understand how water would ruin anodize.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2007, 09:34 PM

I like to put mine in the dishwasher, that way the insides and outsides get sparkly clean without any water marks

jjk5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
High quality paper towel very slightly damp with filtered water. Every time on the screen, and usually on the base. Sometimes, I use alcohol on the aluminum to clean stuff that gets on it, including when there was stuff on my hands (lotion or food, not anything really nasty) when I put them on the palm rests.

Can someone tell me where the paint is on a MacBook Pro? My case is brushed metal, as are my keys. The bezel on the screen looks like pigmented plastic, not painted plastic.
Your keys are brushed metal? Are you sure? They feel plastic to me.
MacBook Pro 2.2 | iPhone 3G 16GB

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 08:22 PM

You can clean a LCD with water? Wouldn't that destroy it? I mean like put bad spots on the screen? My macbook's screen is pretty dusty and I'm scared to use a small cloth with water and clean it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Parvez View Post
You can clean a LCD with water? Wouldn't that destroy it? I mean like put bad spots on the screen? My macbook's screen is pretty dusty and I'm scared to use a small cloth with water and clean it.
I didn't say I used a lot of water, I said I used a VERY SLIGHTLY DAMP paper towel. Just barely damp enough to collect dust and remove finger prints and such, but not enough to leave a noticeable dampness on the screen.

Yes, my keys are brushed metal. That's how the MBP is made. Since it's aluminum, the keys don't feel cold or heavy, but they're aluminum none the less.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 10:19 PM

Oh. I misread it. Cool thanks!

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 01:33 AM

I use iKlear. The kit I purchased had a bottle of the spray, a large "MicroKloth", a smaller "MicroKloth", and some travel singles that have both the cleaner and the polisher cloth. It's very mild and does an excellent job. It gets rid of the pesky screen smudges, and cleans the case great. Water is cheaper, but to get it really clean I never regret trying out the iKlear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules