Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > help-Hard Disk Format Problems and Questions

help-Hard Disk Format Problems and Questions
robbennett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 12:01 PM

Hi I am very new to the Mac world Ive done pcs for years. I DJ and have been doing it with PC but I am not satisfied with the performance everybody said I needed to go to mac. So I picked up an ibook yesterday to try it out it has OSX 10.1.5 on it. My Problem is I have a 300gb NTFS drive full of my music the MAC cant recognize without formatting it there is now way I am doing that. I grabbed a 250gb drive and formatted it but the PC cannot recognize it without formatting it. I need to find some way to transfer these songs to another drive it would take to many dvds to burn 300gb and it is very frustrating. I can ping the MAC but cannot access it in the network I cannot ping the PC nor connect to it.
any help would be greatly appreciated I feel like chucking this out the window
thanks
Rob
<email hidden for privacy>
( Last edited by ghporter; Aug 19, 2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Hiding an email address)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 01:01 PM

OS X can read, but not write, NTFS, so you should be fine there. Windows can't read or write HFS. Use FAT32 for cross-platform compatibility.

If you're in search of performance, an ancient iBook is an odd choice of hardware.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 01:23 PM

ditto mduell, before you spend any more money on any more hardware, you need to ask yourself if a newer Mac laptop wouldn't fix a whole lotta problems. Easy networking, file transfers, large drive support, etc. And OS 10.1 is just plain not ready for prime time.

robbennett  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 04:57 PM

It would be great if I could get it to see it but it says it cannot recognize it and wants to format it. Least if it could read only the songs I could copy them but it wont see any part of it and xp will only let me format it NTFS and fat 32 will not see 300gb

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2007, 05:51 PM

OS 10.1 may not recognize NTFS, being so old. What are the specs of the iBook? You could try putting 10.3 on it.

PS: A word of advice: DON'T title threads as 'help', use a more descriptive title so we will knoiw right away that we can help you so we don't waste our time, also don't refer to a Mac as MAC, MAC means Media Access Control and Mac means Macintosh. Don't put your email address on this forum, all you're going to get is a bunch of spam.
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
PS: A word of advice: DON'T title threads as 'help', use a more descriptive title so we will know right away that we can help you so we don't waste our time,
We even have a rule to that effect-I'll fix the thread title for you.
Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
also don't refer to a Mac as MAC, MAC means Media Access Control and Mac means Macintosh. Don't put your email address on this forum, all you're going to get is a bunch of spam.
Both valid points. A MAC is the hardware serial number of an ethernet device like a network card. And posting an email address is just inviting spam by the bushel. I'll edit that for you too. Keep your eye out for a Private Message instead-that's done through the forums and doesn't reveal anything about you to the world that you don't want revealed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 09:00 PM

Do not use Windows to format a 300 gig drive in FAT32! His Highness, William Gates, has crippled that. You will end up with 9 32 gig partitions. The Mac will impose no such limitation, you could reformat it at 300 gigs in FAT32 on a Mac, once you have copied it to another drive.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2007, 09:51 PM

Sherman, there ARE utilities that can format a FAT32 drive all the way up to the theoretical max of around 8 terabytes. But they aren't part of the Win2K or XP installers (basically the same executable), so most people believe that there's no way to do it within Windows. I think you CAN do it with the Disk Management plugin, but for most people, even getting to that is a pain.

Fortunately Disk Utility can (I think, anyway) format any size FAT32 partition.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 09:20 AM

From a quick look at Microsoft's support site:
Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
it looks like the 32 gig limit is a 'feature' of XP. You can use the standard Format tool in both Windows 98 and ME to create FAT drives up to 8 terabytes. How weird is that? An actual function for Windows ME?!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2007, 10:49 AM

XP grew out of Win2K, not the 9X family-and Microsoft's left hand was obviously not talking to its right when they developed XP, or they'd have fixed this particular issue. You're right-it's complete rubbish for it to be this way. That's Redmond for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules