Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook DC Board Issues

iBook DC Board Issues
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2007, 12:55 AM

The DC board in my iBook went bad. It's a 12", G3 iBook. So, I bought a new (used) board via eBay.

I got it today, dissembled the iBook and tested it before reassembling it by connecting the DC board to the logic board and trying to turn it on. Powering it by using a charged battery seems to work.

But, with only the power cord attached, it won't turn on. This is the fourth DC board I've gone through. (The original was defective, the second had burnt out contacts making charging extremely slow and eventually just quit, now the third and fourth just won't work).

What is going on here? Is the iBook's logic board damaged? I have to say, my experiences with the DC board issue have been rather frustrating. Can anyone give me a clue to what's wrong? I don't even know what to do at this point.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 05:41 PM

If fitting known good DC boards is not fixing your problem, then your logic board is probably at fault. Have you reset your PMU?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If fitting known good DC boards is not fixing your problem, then your logic board is probably at fault. Have you reset your PMU?
I reset the PMU. Still a no-go. I am able to boot off the battery, but the DC board doesn't seem to register. I've tried two supposedly good DC boards, but to be honest, I have no assurance that they are actually good. It could just be a coincidence, and I'm not ready to give up on my only Mac (or otherwise) notebook just yet. Any other ideas?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2007, 08:34 AM

Have you got your original DC board?
You could try reflowing the solder connections from the power jack to the board. I think they're quite big so shouldn't be too hard to work on. Also, check that your power adapter is still working and hasn't been broken by one of these boards.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2007, 10:16 PM

I just decided to sell the damned thing. It's not worth it for me. I'd probably just kill the iBook accidentally.

Forum Links
Forum Rules