Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Home Automation Revisited

Home Automation Revisited
Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 10:58 AM

I've been working on the following rant for awhile. Can you think of any areas, regarding home automation or assistive technology, that I may have overlooked?

While our new home was being constructed to allow easier access for my son's wheelchair, I began to investigate other means and technologies that would improve his quality of life. Currently proficient with an Apple MacBook Pro, Josh is familiar with the Macintosh Platform. Therefore, in my quest for a "smart home" solution, I called several home automation companies in my area. Most replied with the typical "appliance salesman" response, offering an embedded Crestron (appliance control) and Lutron (lighting control) solution. Another specialized solely in HAI systems, an expensive proprietary solution combining both lighting and appliance control. None seemed to offer the "Think Different" approach that I was looking for. None offered a package that included proven assistive technologies.

I looked at Mac OS X, the current Operating System for the Macintosh, and the more feature-laden Mac OS Server. Containing a wealth of Accessibility Solutions, such as Speech Recognition and VoiceOver, an audible interface for those with visual impairments, Mac OS X seemed the perfect solution for Josh's needs, yet none of the Home Automation bids I received took advantage of Apple's operating system.

Using the Macintosh OS and accompanying hardware such as the Mac Pro or Xserve, I can establish a wireless network throughout the home, using a combination of the Airport Extreme Base Station coupled with several Airport Express modules to expand the range of the wireless network. The newest base stations support the 802.11n draft standard and allow the connection of shared hard drives and printers. This would allow Josh to use a laptop computer, such as the MacBook Pro, anywhere within the house. Macintosh OS X also includes Bonjour, a messaging program that would allow all networked computers in the home to connect with one another for intercom-like functionality. For outdoor use, a more robust solution, such as the D-Link DWL-7700AP Wireless Outdoor Access Point, could be coupled with the Airport Extreme Base Station.

In addition to Mac OS X, there are several software applications, which would improve Josh's independence, within the house. Indigo 2.0, a home control server, would allow Josh to remotely control lights, fans, appliances, and other devices, using his MacBook Pro. This software interfaces with both INSTEON and X10 compatible devices, including PowerLinc interfaces. In essence, I could replace a wall switch or electrical outlet with a PowerLinc device, which would utilize the home's existing wiring and only require the services of an electrician, to give Josh control of turning on his own lights, closing his blinds, and other typical daily activities. INSTEON thermostats and sprinkler modules are also available.

To assist Josh with his leisure time, I have looked at the Kaleidescape Movie Server System, which would allow Josh to access numerous DVDs without having to physically handle the discs. For a shared audio solution, Apple's iTunes application, part of Mac OS X, will link the music libraries of each networked Macintosh in the house and play the music through speakers connected to Airport Express modules. Apple has also released the Apple TV, a device that will connect to a standard television and transfer media, such as music, movies, and pictures, from a nearby Macintosh network. A hard drive filled with archived movies, connected to an Airport Extreme, and accessed by the Apple TV would also be an option, when coupled with various decryption applications.

Should a fire or similar emergency arise, I equipped the home with a limited arrangement of automatic doors. For external doors, I used two Open Sesame door units. These could be controlled either from an external keypad, interior pushpad, or X10 computer interface. As Josh's room contains two pocket doors, one leading into the body of the room and another leading into the bathroom, I used two Gentleman Sliding Door Operators, a pneumatic device requiring the use of an external air compressor. This same device can be configured to open Josh's windows and is X10 compatible, accessible using his MacBook Pro and Indigo software.

For an additional measure of security, network security cameras, such as the Toshiba IK-WB11A or Panasonic BL-C30A, could be installed, both inside the home and outdoors. These would be accessed from Josh's iBook using an application called SecuritySpy. Other cameras, such as the Axis 207 series of network cameras, work within Bonjour. For additional surveillance a mobile camera, found on devices such as the Erector Spykee robot or the Surveyor SRV-1, could be controlled and viewed from any Mac in the house.

To access Indigo, SecuritySpy, Bonjour, or Mac OS X in locations not equipped with a computer workstation, a touch screen wall panel can be created by combining a Xenarc 700TS with a Mac Mini, a solution far lest costly than similar touch screen offerings from HAI and comparable home automation companies. Although less feature-laden, an iPod Touch could also be used to access an Indigo control panel, by means of a web browser.

Should voice recognition within Mac OS X prove unreliable, there are other options, such as the AVSI Mastervoice Series II, a voice-activated home automation system compatible with X10. This solution is not interoperable with the Mac OS or INSTEON, however.

As our new home was constructed on a 20-acre farm, I have investigated several options that would allow Josh to participate in both daily chores and leisure activities. Using a hardware interface such as the LabJack U3 USB based multifunction data acquisition and control device, coupled with an automated feeder like the Agpro Pro Feeder, Josh would be able to use Indigo to feed our horses, goats, pigs, alpacas, and dogs. Using the Rain8 X10 Sprinkler Controller, he would be able to refill their water bowls as well. A LabJack might also allow Josh to monitor and maintain our indoor aquariums or an outdoor koi pond, using an application called Maquarium.

Mounting a computer, either a laptop such as the MacBook Pro or MacBook or a smaller unit such as the Mac Mini, directly on Josh's wheelchair could circumvent many dilemmas such as whole-house voice activation. The GimpGear Mobile Power Kit would provide a DC automobile accessory power adapter from a wheelchair battery, allowing for the connection of a computer, wireless access point, and other necessary equipment. Mounted next to the wheelchair joystick, an interface such as the Optimus mini three keyboard could be used for common functions, so that access to a full-sized keyboards would not be required.

I know I do not posses the knowledge or time necessary, on my own, to create an Environmental Control Unit (ECU) for Joshua. I lack the experience and resources to properly wire the system and use Mac OS X to concoct appropriate AppleScript/Automator routines, devise widgets, and troubleshoot.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 12:19 PM

uhm

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 01:11 PM

Houses have enough problems with them minus extraneous technology.

I'll stick with analogue houses for now since I wouldn't trust anyones life (especially my son who is in a wheelchair) with any OS.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2007, 01:32 PM

On the other hand, the OP's investigation seems to have covered exactly what an Adaptive/Assistive Technology professional would have-at least for the systems he discussed. A backup is essential, but if your mobility is severely restricted, daily quality of life is something that MUST be considered. Sure, having multiple fire safety systems is critical, but don't downplay the ability to simply turn a light on or off. ANY independence for someone with serious mobility problems is worth working on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Aeolius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 01:58 PM

I suppose I should have prefaced my remarks by explaining that, when I was in the process of building my house, I contacted three local businesses specializing in home automation. The first salesman proudly displayed his selection of Crestron controls and Lutron lighting. However, he seemed at a loss as to how best to integrate assistive technology into my future home. The second company carried similar products and seemed quite eager to work on a solution for my families needs. Yet they didn’t remain in contact after our initial consultation. I filled out a consultation request form at the website for the third company. My request was straightforward, as I expected it to be dismissed or ignored entirely .

"I am building a new home and am looking for a company which will work with my existing preferences, in automating my home. I would prefer to base the system off the Macintosh OS X platform, using an interface similar to Perceptive Automation's Indigo application, which currently supports X-10 but will support additional interfaces, such as Insteon and possibly Z-Wave and HAI support, in the coming months.

Ideally I would like to integrate home automation (lighting, HVAC, etc) with security (alarms, cameras, etc) and add technologies for the disabled (door openers, etc), while leaving room for future possibilities (weather station, aquarium control, etc). Whole house distribution of video and audio, using existing technologies such as the Tivo Desktop (when Tivo supports HDTV and Mac OS X in 2006) and XM Radio Online would be a bonus. I would like to use Mac OS X to showcase these technologies, using Indigo and SecuritySpy (camera interface), both of which have functional Dashboard widgets, coupled with a large WiFi hotspot transmitter such as those provided by D-Link (I have the DWL-2700AP and a few Toshiba networked webcams)."

It took a week for them to reply with a response as informative as a form letter. Here are the highlights:

"We believe there are better, more streamline ways of deploying systems in the home environment and integrating them using technologies, products, and methods from the IT world, and we are doing research and beta testing in our offices and homes to find the best practices.
At this point in the convergence timeline, this implementation is all the work of pioneers.
Your described approach is particularly unique even within the ranks of integrators that are embracing the IT world in that it is focused on MAC platforms, and the emphasis at this time (little as there is now) is placed on MS, and some Linux based platforms.
It is important to (company name) to develop additional business by designing and deploying systems that are proven and reliable so that we can ensure a positive customer experience and make a profit to ensure our existence in the future to service existing and new customer relationships.
Doing the work of pioneers on our customer’s projects does not fit the business model outlined above."

And there you have it. I am a pioneer.

mnewnam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 01:03 AM

I was searching for utilizing OSX as a home movie server and just happened to read this post.

First off I'm sorry for the "appliance salesperson" experience that you've had. Unfortunately our industry is not very well regulated and there are alot of unscrupulous people that want to sell you what they have in their showroom or what they have "in-stock" to turn inventory.

We take a vastly different approach as we guide the customer to a fully custom system that does everything that they want within time and budget. We are very sucessful and fly all over the world doing mid-to-high-end home automation systems.

While we primarily sell Crestron and Lutron solutions we always keep an eye to the future and emerging technologies. There is a new (in development for 3 years) home automation system that is starting to come out that is based completely on OSX. There is the main controller, which is a Macbook Pro to handle the communications to the touchpanels with a subsystem that is based with a low-power Linux processor-on-a-chip to handle RS232, Relay, IR, and A/V switching. There is a 13.3" touchpanel that is a repackaged Macbook to use as a wireless TP. You can also use your Macbook, iMac, Mac Pro, or iPhone as a GUI interface. It's a pretty neat technology and while they don't have EVERYTHING that Crestron has to offer they are making great strides.

We're based in Houston, TX, but travel all over the country and the world installing systems. If you'd like to discuss it we'd love the challenge of helping your son live a better life. I'll be honest that it won't be inexpensive, but we like to think out of the box and deliver a system that you can't get anywhere else. You can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] and I'd love to talk to you about it. I'm the Director of IT and Programming, so I can talk to you about any ideas you may have for your son.

Aeolius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 02:11 PM

After I replied to a similar thread at macrumors.com, someone added a reply with a link to a YouTube video showing Indigo 2 in action, using a web interface on an iPhone to control lighting, an AppleTV, and more.

YouTube - Home Automation using a Mac and iPhone

I also put the information I posted above onto a web page, so that I could include links: Home Automation

Forum Links
Forum Rules