Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.2 doesn't like disks to sleep?

10.5.2 doesn't like disks to sleep?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 02:03 AM

Seem to have found something new in 10.5.2: My Time Machine drive is an external FW800 drive which I have set to spin down whenever possible. After installing 10.5.2 it seems to be awoken every 20 minutes or so, which is, obviously, unnecessary. Is anyone else seeing this, or is my copy of 10.5.2 just lonely?
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Feb 21, 2008 at 02:18 AM. )
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Cold Warrior
Feb 21, 2008, 10:12 AM

If you are willing to watch Activity Monitor at around the time the drive should spin up again, you could watch it for new or more-active processes (sort by CPU), which may show you what process may be trying to access the drive.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 09:54 PM

Restarted, with no apps running, and let the machine sit there. The drive went to sleep, then was awoken. Sat there with Activity Monitor running and only saw a slight spike in mds. I think it's definitely something Apple changed with 10.5.2.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2008, 10:02 PM

My backup drive sleeps, but I am not running Time Machine currently. I bet it's a Time Machine issue.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
My backup drive sleeps, but I am not running Time Machine currently. I bet it's a Time Machine issue.
Good for you!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 04:32 AM

My external drives wake up every once in a while - and always when I enter the password upon quitting the screen saver after an idle period.

I do not have Time Machine configured at all.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
My external drives wake up every once in a while - and always when I enter the password upon quitting the screen saver after an idle period.

I do not have Time Machine configured at all.
Poking around the Apple discussion boards, it seems 10.5.2 has introduced several sleep issues.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2008, 05:35 AM

I have Time Machine active, & my Mac goes to sleep fine. I do hear the EHDD wake-up on the hour for TM sync but my Mac stays asleep all through .... I didn't set for my EHDD to sleep it does this automatically!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 06:40 AM

I don't see this as an "issue" at all, and my Mac sleeps just fine.

It's merely the external drives spinning back up every once in a while when the Mac is awake and in use...

OreoCookie
Feb 22, 2008, 06:45 AM

I don't think it's a Time Machine issue, MacOS X wakes up my external FireWire drive (which I don't use for Time Machine backups, I have another disk for that) for all sorts of other reasons: certain dialogs seem to trigger this at times (e. g. open/save, password dialogs).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I don't see this as an "issue" at all, and my Mac sleeps just fine.

It's merely the external drives spinning back up every once in a while when the Mac is awake and in use...
The only thing that drive is used for is Time Machine. There's no reason for it to wake up otherwise.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 09:38 AM

Although you are using the drive for TM, it doesn't mean that it isn't possible to use it for anything else. Therefore, if you e.g. open a save dialogue, the OS will spin it up as a potential target location for the save.

Currently (and probably never) it isn't to possible to tell the OS that your drive is only a TM drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules