Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Leopard/Transmit/CLI/Comcast FTP issues...

Leopard/Transmit/CLI/Comcast FTP issues...
vwgtiturbo
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2008, 02:23 AM

Hello there,
I was wondering if there is a way to see if my ISP is blocking my FTP access. I can connect to my FTP server, and browse it's contents, (my hosted website) but cannot upload or download files from/to it. I have tried this using Transmit 3.6.4, Terminal, and the Finder. All of them can see the contents but not actually move any files. I also can go to a file's address in Safari (using http://blahblahblah, or ftp://blahblahblah) and STILL get nothing.
I don't have an FTP server running at my house. I am just trying to download and upload stuff to my web host. I know that Comcast is suspected of blocking more than Torrent traffic, but is FTP included in that?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2008, 07:56 AM

Finder, at least is BUILT to be read-only for FTP. Really. I too fell into the mindset that "any file navigator will do bidirectional FTP" because of my years running Windows. Not true; Finder just plain WON'T write to FTP. Give Cyberduck a try and that'll tell you what's up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vwgtiturbo  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2008, 01:34 PM

Well, rebooting the router solved it... for now. We'll see what this POS router throws at me next. It has gotten progressively worse as time goes on, requiring reboots every 2-4 days...
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2008, 04:00 PM

Are you using active or passive FTP? In most cases like this (where the control and data channels are discrete), switching from active to passive will fix things as the client will now initiate all communications -- allowing a router / NAT type device to handle things as you would expect without it having to think too hard about it all (as in: remember tables for outbound control requests and try to bind inbound data packets to the original controller).

Check Wikipedia or Google ftp for more on this: FTP's roots go back to the days when security wasn't thought of much and NAT had yet to be hacked together.

You may also get good results using sFTP, with the benefit that you won't be sending any data in the clear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules