Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fresh Leopard Install on PowerBook

Fresh Leopard Install on PowerBook
billgilman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2008, 07:06 AM

Hello All

I want to wipe my PowerBook G4 drive clean, install a fresh copy of Leopard, and Logic Pro, to keep it as clean, streamlined and unencumbered as possible.

Do I just boot it in target mode, hook it up via FW to my G5, and wipe it clean with Disk Utility and then install Leopard running the installer in the G5's CD-ROM drive?

Just checking, thanks for any suggestions

Bill

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 07:15 AM

Just pop the install disc into the drive, and after you get beyond the EULA, select the option that has reformat. (I forget the exact wording).

billgilman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2008, 07:27 AM

Shoulda known it would be that easy.... thank you!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 10:02 PM

Same topic, different hardware: is there anyway to use another Mac's CD/DVD drive to do a fresh install on a G4 ibook which has a drive that only reads CD sometimes, and no DVD's?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Apr 5, 2008, 09:37 AM

Yes. Boot the other Mac in Target Disk mode and connect the two via Firewire. The optical drive on the TD machine will appear as a Firewire drive on the other machine.

I did this when installing Tiger on an old G3 iMac DV with a CD-ROM drive. I used my MacBook as the target drive, even though it was being read from the MacBook to the iMac.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Yes. Boot the other Mac in Target Disk mode and connect the two via Firewire. The optical drive on the TD machine will appear as a Firewire drive on the other machine.

I did this when installing Tiger on an old G3 iMac DV with a CD-ROM drive. I used my MacBook as the target drive, even though it was being read from the MacBook to the iMac.
Many thanks for the tip!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

The iMac DV has a DVD-ROM drive (along with Firewire and a 400MHz clock, it's what distinguished it from the regular iMac)

Forum Links
Forum Rules