Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Controlling Internet in Mac-based Classroom, help

Controlling Internet in Mac-based Classroom, help
mrTG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2008, 05:15 PM

Hi, I was in here a few months ago when I found out our computer graphics lab was upgrading to macs this year. Just went in - our lab has 24 student computers and 1 teacher (all iMacs). We have Remote Desktop 3 on the Teacher computer.

The main thing that I need to do as teacher is be able to control access to the internet on the student computers. Allow them to do internet research at times, but then turn off access so they will work on projects and not surf the web. Does anyone know my options on how I can do that? I don't see the option in the Remote Desktop program. On the PC side there was software called SynchronEyes that had this great feature, but with the Macs am I SOL??? Please say it ain't so.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 06:29 PM

Is there a router you can control? If so, just cut its access. Otherwise, you can use the parental controls to make Safari unusable. Someone else may be able to give you more details, since I've never had to do this.

larkost
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 08:18 PM

The only reliable way of doing this is going to be at the router level like Thinine indicated. There are a number of products that can be used as transparent proxies that could be used if web traffic is all you care about. But that still involved routing all the traffic through a computer that would function as the choke point.

mrTG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 07:49 PM

thanks for your replies.

Our IT guy said he has to install our own network in the room (I assume that means a router). We would then just turn off the router when we want to prevent students from going on the web? Would that affect our ability to print? (everything is wireless).

Thanks again! I have not been able to find much help on this.

Mr.g

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2008, 10:53 PM

If the router is also you access point then yes, turning it off will kill printing. However, you could just disconnect the uplink ethernet port and everything should work as you want.

MikeNN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2008, 05:56 AM

If everything is wireless, you will need software. Otherwise you will not be able to kill the network connection, as there are no cables or equipment in that particular room.

If you installed an independent LAN in that room though, it would work out. Use a wired router, with an access point and a wired switch. Use the access point as a bridge to the building WLAN. Just kill the AP when you don't need internet. That way, the router will still maintain the LAN even tough the WAN connection is down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules