Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook pro, Black Screen, no startup tone, sleep light solid, no HD or keyboard ??

MacBook pro, Black Screen, no startup tone, sleep light solid, no HD or keyboard ??
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2008, 12:30 PM

Ok, so I have a MacBook Pro here. The instructor said it just shut off on his in the middle of using the computer.

The following has been replaced or swapped with known good working parts:

Memory
Logic Board
HD
Battery
Power Adapter (pins are clean on adapter and power port)

Have reset PRAM & SMU

Once power button is pressed, the fans turn on, CD-Spins (Install Disc spins but will not boot or eject), get black screen (as well as external video), no HD activity or spinning up (seems like no power), front sleep light stays solid and keyboard commands will not work for target or PRAM.

My thoughts were Logic board but no luck.

Looked at MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo service manual and can not see anything for Power. Would there be anything that's not on the logic board that's house on the computer that looks after power that may be having issues?

Tks,

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2008, 02:52 PM

Turned out to be the "Left I/O board". Odd that it was causing some of the devices to not get power.

NathanielGomez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2008, 02:44 AM

hey mate,
I have the same problem,
can you explain how you fixed it?

thanks heaps,

Nathaniel

Forum Links
Forum Rules