Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Hard drive copy

Hard drive copy
kill bill
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2008, 08:03 PM

When I got my imac, I did the thing where you copy the contents of your old computer onto your new one. As a result, my applications made the leap as well. That means I'm using Word 2004 even though my computer came with 2007. Is there a way to find the 2007 version (and the rest of the applications that came with the computer)?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2008, 08:12 PM

To clarify - which computer came with Word 2007? Your old one or your new one?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2008, 08:13 PM

Your iMac shipped with office installed?

You should have restore discs with all of the bundled software.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2008, 08:45 PM

There is no Office 2007 for Macs.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2008, 03:08 PM

I think a little clarification is in order:

1) Apple does not ship Macs from the factory with the full MS Office installed. (there are special circumstances when you order in large volumes and provide your own image). However, they do ship with the Office 2008 Trial. This is a time-limited trial.

2) As stated, Office 2007 is for Windows only. Office 2008 is for Macs (only). This is usually how the MS Office releases go.

3) The migration assistant does not wipe out any applications. Unless you have removed them, they are still there. In the case of MS Office it might be that Office 2004 is being preferred to the trial version. This is actually a good thing in my book.

4) With very few exceptions everything that came on your computer is on the restore disk, and the "extra" applications can usually be re-installed without wiping out the os. There have been some some extra files (like songs) at some points along the way, but I don't think that that has been the case for a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules