Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Moving/renaming folders within home directory?

Moving/renaming folders within home directory?
kelchm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2009, 05:28 PM

Hi guys.

Is there a way I can rename the media folders (Music, Movies, Pictures) and move them to an external drive?

Cold Warrior
Jan 24, 2009, 06:13 PM

It's a bad idea to rename those folders. The operating system and other Apple software expect them to be named a certain way. Like renaming your Applications folder or moving certain items from it, renaming Music, Movies, and Pictures is a bad idea.

You could copy them to an external drive, just drag-drop, but I wouldn't move them wholesale. It'd be safer to leave them in place but move the data, libraries, or files inside them for use on an external drive, if that's what you're going for. It's also very easy to put iTunes and iPhoto libraries on external drives without needing to tinker with Music, Movies, or Pictures at all.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2009, 06:25 PM

I'm somewhat sure only Desktop and Library are truly off limits. Only user level software uses the media folders.

Cold Warrior
Jan 24, 2009, 06:31 PM

If you're intent on it, check out this similar thread on Apple's boards.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=8623114

One member mentions that, for example, sending a slideshow from iPhoto to iDVD will fail unless there's a Movies directory.

The thread goes on to mention a method to use symbolic links to move these directories in a more fool-proof way.

kelchm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It's a bad idea to rename those folders. The operating system and other Apple software expect them to be named a certain way. Like renaming your Applications folder or moving certain items from it, renaming Music, Movies, and Pictures is a bad idea.
Well, thats why I was asking. I haven't really had a chance to play with it and see what happens. I was thinking that a hidden symlink in combination with a visible symlink might let me accomplish both moving and renaming...

Thanks the link.

Forum Links
Forum Rules