Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 Inquiries Re: New 20" iMac w/Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

2 Inquiries Re: New 20" iMac w/Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
mgw2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2009, 01:49 PM

I've just been trying to set up my iMac & have been unable to click on the Safari icon on the dock & get connected to the Internet. The Diagnostic message continues to crop up each time I attempt to do so. Should I not be able to connect directly by clicking on the Safari icon? (I am using a USB Dial-Up Modem connection.)

I can get connected to the Internet via the Network folder under System Preferences, but this seems to make it an around about way to start a computer session if the first thing you want to do is use Internet/Safari.

Thus far I am also disappointed with the speed performance of my new system vs. my old upgraded 1997 Power Mac (which, even it was performing sluggishly). I realize Dial-Up is a slower technology, but I am surprised there does not seem to be any speed increase in the new iMac. Does the fact I am using a wireless mouse & keyboard have an effect on speed (& the surface on which mouse is being moved)?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2009, 01:53 PM

What diagnostic message-the actual text of it-are you getting?

There's no way for a computer to create speed in a connection that doesn't have it in the first place. Even a "good" 56k dialup connection won't get you "56k" worth of throughput, and it's harder and harder to get such a connection in the first place because of infrastructure issues. If you get the equivalent of 33.6k on dialup, consider yourself fortunate.

While the connection may be holding you back, I GUARANTEE that your new iMac is processing whatever comes in orders of magnitude faster than your PowerMac could have. It's not the computer, it's the connection. Once we figure out your dial up issue, you should be able to get every single bit's worth of speed your dial-up connection can give you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mgw2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2009, 02:49 PM

When I double click on the Dock's Safari icon, popping up on the screen in big lettering it says, NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS CAN HELP YOU SOLVE NETWORK PROBLEMS. Below that headline is a button to click, labeled "Network Diagnostics". Once that is clicked a screen appears with entry choices to be made. First, Select Location. (The selection I made is a self-named Location.) Second: Choose Network Port Configuration. (External Modem is the one checked.) Third: Are you using PPP or AOL dial-up to connect to the Internet. (PPP is selected). After clicking the Continue button after each of these entries, a new screen appears with the statement: Verify PPP Settings. The entries are for Telephone, Account Name and Password. After entering these the confirming statement: Your Internet Connection appears to be working correctly.

It just does not make sense to have to keep going thru this screen rather than clicking directly on the Safari icon placed on the Dock.

ibook_steve
Apr 12, 2009, 03:20 PM

The message comes up because you are not connected to the Internet at the time of opening Safari. A dial-up connection takes time to connect, so Safari isn't seeing the connection in time. In Network preferences, under the modem, you should be able to add a dial-up menu so you can manually connect or disconnect at any time from the top of the screen.

But maybe the best solution would be to get broadband.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules