Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Printer not appearing in list

Printer not appearing in list
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2009, 05:35 PM

Hi all,

I haven't posted here in a long time, so I'm hoping you'll be able to help me out. I have a Canon iP6600D attached to my G5 tower (Dual 2.0ghz) running 10.4.11. I also have a Dell laptop running XP SP3 on the wireless network. The laptop no longer sees the printer, and I'm so PC ignorant, i have no idea why. When I try to add a printer, no printer appears in the list, just HOME and WORKGROUP. I double click each, but no printer. It shows my G5, but no printer attached to it.

It's very frustrating because I don't know PCs well at all, and I can't figure this out. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Yes, "share this printer on the network" is checked on my Mac

Tom

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2009, 06:05 PM

You might reinstall the Canon driver on the Dell. Sometimes printer drivers for network-accessed printers are very different from the driver for directly connected printers, and that could interfere with the Dell "seeing" the printer over the network.

Why you used to see it and now you don't? It could be any one of a number of things; my bet is a Windows update fixed something and broke your printer settings in the process.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2009, 05:12 AM

I've never been able to get USB printer sharing to work cross platform. It's easier to deal with if it's ethernet based because you can use the IP address instead. Don't have any good suggestions aside from that, sorry.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
May 18, 2009, 12:55 PM

Install Bonjour from Apple on the PC (http://support.apple.com/downloads/Bonjour_for_Windows). See if you can find the printer with Bonjour's Add Printer wizard.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules