Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Connecting MBP's Mini Displayport to LCD TV

Connecting MBP's Mini Displayport to LCD TV
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 12:48 AM

I am waiting for my new MBP to be shipped and am trying to figure out how I will connect it to our Samsung LCD TV (I used S-Video with my PB). It's not a high priority, but I'd like to be able to do it if I can.

I've been Googling, searching for forum, and reading so much that now I'm not sure what I need to do. I want to make sure I buy the right adapters and cables. Is it just a matter of buying a Monoprice MDP to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable (which I already have connected to my DVD player) or is there something else (or a better way)?

Thanks in advance!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2009, 03:35 AM

Yes, HDMI or DVI is the best way, definitely.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks.

I found/checked my TV's manual this morning and it gives instructions for connecting a computer via DVI>HDMI.

So, if I understand correctly, it looks like I have two options: (1) DVI>HDMI (via MDP>DVI Adapter) or (2) HDMI>HDMI (via MDP>HDMI Adapter), is that right?

Is one option better than the other?

Cold Warrior
Jul 4, 2009, 12:13 PM

Does MDP include audio? If yes, then the HDMI adapter should include audio too.

DVI does not include audio, so you'd have to connect that separately.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Does MDP include audio?
It's supposed to according to the DisplayPort spec, but Apple's implementation doesn't do it (yet - I'm hoping for this getting fixed in a firmware update).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
It's supposed to according to the DisplayPort spec, but Apple's implementation doesn't do it (yet - I'm hoping for this getting fixed in a firmware update).
Is a decent monitor with good speakers that works over MDP wishful thinking? Or is MDP just another Apple tangent..

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 02:00 PM

No, because there are cables and adapters that can connect a MDP port on a Mac to any DisplayPort-equipped monitor. The trouble is that Apple doesn't seem to be sending audio out through the MDP port, so no audio will get to the display's speakers until Apple fixes this.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader View Post
So, if I understand correctly, it looks like I have two options: (1) DVI>HDMI (via MDP>DVI Adapter) or (2) HDMI>HDMI (via MDP>HDMI Adapter), is that right?

Is one option better than the other?
DVI is less likely to fall out of the socket than HDMI (screws vs friction), so I'd go that route. Since Apple's implementation of MDP doesn't support audio, HDMI doesn't help there.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 01:40 PM

I am planning on getting a MDP to DVI adapter just because I see it as more flexible. It is also easier to find a DVI to VGA adapter for me in case I need that.

I have been looking at Newegg.com - mini displayport
but I forgot about monoprice so I will do some comparisons.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I am planning on getting a MDP to DVI adapter just because I see it as more flexible. It is also easier to find a DVI to VGA adapter for me in case I need that.
Unfortunately, that won't work. You'll have to get a MDP to VGA adapter - piggybacking a DVI to VGA adapter on top of the MDP to DVI adapter won't work.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Unfortunately, that won't work. You'll have to get a MDP to VGA adapter - piggybacking a DVI to VGA adapter on top of the MDP to DVI adapter won't work.
Really? I thought the problem was only with the apple adapter.

This definitely changes my strategy, thanks for the heads up.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 03:14 PM

Nope, all the adapters work by telling the GPU (NVidia in this case, fairly industry-standard) which type of signal it should be outputting. If you use the DVI adapter, no VGA signal is being sent, and thus there's no way VGA is going to work. A DVI-HDMI adapter would probably still work, though, since HDMI and DVI use the same video signal, if I understand correctly.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 03:54 PM

Then how do any DVI -> VGA adapters work? Do some DVI ports output both DVI and VGA signals and is that the DVI-D DVI-I distinction that I never understood? I am using a DVI -> VGA adapter right now to connect my MDD to a VGA display (the second display I have uses an ADC -> DVI adapter).

Sometimes I don't like when apple is ahead of the curve adopting new technologies and ports. I would have been happy with a plain old mini dvi port and instead I have to figure all of this out. I just want the cheapest combination of adapters to allow me to output vga, dvi, and hdmi.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 04:08 PM

Your MDD uses DVI as its native video output format (ADC is just DVI with a different connector and a few other pins for USB and power), so the DVI-VGA adapter there is just telling the MDD's video card to output VGA instead of DVI, just like the MDP-VGA adapters for the newer Macs tell the video card to output VGA instead of DP.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Then how do any DVI -> VGA adapters work? Do some DVI ports output both DVI and VGA signals and is that the DVI-D DVI-I distinction that I never understood? I am using a DVI -> VGA adapter right now to connect my MDD to a VGA display (the second display I have uses an ADC -> DVI adapter).

Sometimes I don't like when apple is ahead of the curve adopting new technologies and ports. I would have been happy with a plain old mini dvi port and instead I have to figure all of this out. I just want the cheapest combination of adapters to allow me to output vga, dvi, and hdmi.
DVI-VGA adapters (the $2-20 variety) work by signaling to the card to output a different signal.

The cheapest way to get VGA, DVI, and HDMI is MDP-VGA, MDP-DVI, and DVI-HDMI.

Forum Links
Forum Rules