Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How many of you have switched to Postbox?

How many of you have switched to Postbox?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2010, 02:03 PM

Just curious...

The biggest complaint with version 1 seemed to be that it wasn't enough of a native Mac app in terms of UI compliance. This has been vastly improved if not altogether fixed in version 2.

I often come across problems involving OS X Mail choking in various ways. It's frankly an email client with a great GUI that performs and behaves like ass, esp. with large mailboxes. If people start using Postbox it should grow a fair bit in prominence, there is an interesting opportunity there, I think, particularly for those married to their standalone email client.

I'm wondering how many of you have evaluated version 2? There is a free trial available for it, and by the time it expires the free Postbox Express 2.0 might be available by then.

Postbox — A Better Way to Do Email

Meet Postbox Express

Cold Warrior
Oct 20, 2010, 06:15 PM

I tried the postbox 2 beta after you mentioned it in a recent thread. Didn't feel like it was worth switching from Thunderbird, I forget why. OS X Mail does choke often.

I'll revisit postbox after I have a chance to use Mac Outlook 2011.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I'll revisit postbox after I have a chance to use Mac Outlook 2011.
David Pogue didn't like it.

My greatest disappointment, though, was Outlook. The other reviewers rave about its speed; my copy freezes whenever it’s “syncing” (sending or receiving e-mail). It won’t respond until the syncing is complete.
Worse, Microsoft gutted this program. So many of the great tools and commands I used in Entourage, its predecessor, have simply been removed.

The missing commands include Resend (lets you resend a sent message — to a new person, for example); Edit Message (great if there’s a hideous background or font that makes the message unreadable); Cleanup Text (fixes those multi-forwarded messages with a million indented >>> forwarding brackets, or gets rid of ugly line breaks); Redirect (lets you forward a message to the proper party, with the original sender still in the “From” box); and the option to use the same keyboard shortcuts for editing text that you’ve set up in Word.

There are bugs aplenty, too. If you use the Send as Attachment command from Word, for example, you wind up with an outgoing message in Outlook — but without your signature in place. You have to add that manually. To make matters more annoying, the cursor doesn’t plop itself in the To box, so you can address it. You have to click there.

Outlook’s AutoComplete is broken, too. My editor was baffled as to why he didn’t get the column I e-mailed him several times last week. Later, we discovered that when I began typing his name, AutoComplete proposed an obscure, secondary Gmail address for him—even though, in Outlook’s address book, his correct e-mail address is clearly marked as the primary address.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2010, 07:27 AM

Looks interesting, I'll have to check it out.
~Mike

Cold Warrior
Oct 22, 2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
David Pogue didn't like it.[/I]
I saw that and it worries me. Would be nice if MS offers a 2011 demo download to try out Outlook (which is the only difference between the home and business versions). If it's not what I need, I can save myself money and just get the home package.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
David Pogue didn't like it.

My greatest disappointment, though, was Outlook. The other reviewers rave about its speed; my copy freezes whenever it’s “syncing” (sending or receiving e-mail). It won’t respond until the syncing is complete.
Worse, Microsoft gutted this program. So many of the great tools and commands I used in Entourage, its predecessor, have simply been removed.

The missing commands include Resend (lets you resend a sent message — to a new person, for example); Edit Message (great if there’s a hideous background or font that makes the message unreadable); Cleanup Text (fixes those multi-forwarded messages with a million indented >>> forwarding brackets, or gets rid of ugly line breaks); Redirect (lets you forward a message to the proper party, with the original sender still in the “From” box); and the option to use the same keyboard shortcuts for editing text that you’ve set up in Word.

There are bugs aplenty, too. If you use the Send as Attachment command from Word, for example, you wind up with an outgoing message in Outlook — but without your signature in place. You have to add that manually. To make matters more annoying, the cursor doesn’t plop itself in the To box, so you can address it. You have to click there.

Outlook’s AutoComplete is broken, too. My editor was baffled as to why he didn’t get the column I e-mailed him several times last week. Later, we discovered that when I began typing his name, AutoComplete proposed an obscure, secondary Gmail address for him—even though, in Outlook’s address book, his correct e-mail address is clearly marked as the primary address.

Heh..... What great fail. I always found it amusing that there has been so many problems with accessing Exchange from Microsoft's own Mac products, and now that MS has finally attempted to satisfy so many Mac users who wanted a fully capable Mac client of Outlook we get this

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2010, 01:21 PM

Pff, I'd love to use even the most mediocre Outlook, compared to Lotus Notes.

I know, I know, but you really never get used to that f*cking piece of software shit.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2010, 01:27 PM

So let me get this straight, you don't like Lotus Notes?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2010, 04:56 PM

I did try it despite my reservations. Couldn't live with crap IMAP instead of full Exchange integration.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I did try it despite my reservations. Couldn't live with crap IMAP instead of full Exchange integration.
What's "it" ?

This thread is confusing, since everyone (incl. me) keeps talking about Outlook, and not Postbox.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2010, 05:43 PM

Crap IMAP of Entourage or whatever you were using before?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What's "it" ?

This thread is confusing, since everyone (incl. me) keeps talking about Outlook, and not Postbox.
It is Postbox, the subject of this thread.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Crap IMAP of Entourage or whatever you were using before?
I was using Mail.app at the time of your original thread, but I've since been using Outlook 2011 Beta 6 and looking forward to the final on Tuesday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules