Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Request to Replace or Make Redundant Cold Warrior

Request to Replace or Make Redundant Cold Warrior
freudling
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 12:46 AM

Just a request. See:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...dministration/

Anyone else that has an issue with this guy, post it in here.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
No, it was cumulative from PWL.
I was sort of willing to just forget about this. But... I must point out, this is only part of the story. Cold Warrior:

1. I reply to this thread on Jan. 31 early in the morning:

Originally Posted by freudling
It's obviously advice based on experience. My experience is that there are many people without MBAs in upper management. Some of the best I've worked with have no University.

I wonder how you have time to post so much on here?
2. Later that day, I receive an infraction from Cold Warrior for this post:

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...3/#post4047526

Begins: "Hey, my name's ShortcutToMoncton. I read..."

As you can tell, at my wits end with people perpetuating this myth that tax havens are illegal full-stop. I'm not saying people don't abuse them, but the post was reasoned and detailed, and true, even if it started off jabbing a bit at Shortcut... but I had and still have good intentions. I've seen people in there calling others pussies and not getting any kind of infractions whatever. If that's the case, serious issues with the way moderation is handled on here...

Then, later that same day, in the evening:

3. Cold Warrior then goes and gives me an infraction for the very same post he smugly responded to.

Originally Posted by freudling
Here's an idea Cold Warrior. Instead of spending all this time hanging out on MacNN, moderating and such, how about actually getting out into the world?

Then maybe you won't need to insulate yourself with education, and actually work and be out there progressing and making money.
4. Within 15 minutes of giving me an infraction, Cold Warrior smugly responds to the above comment:

You first brother, at least for 6 days 23 hours.
And then I got banned for 7 days, which is what he was publicly rubbing in. I sent MacNN a complaint about good old CW, we'll see what happens. I do have a friend who is on the site's employ. I don't know that I'll bother that person. But I don't have any faith in this site actually responding, other than now calling out CW for some of his double-standard nonsense.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2011, 12:49 AM

Yeah, we're all totally on your side.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yeah, we're all totally on your side.
Thanks buddy! Good to see the objectivity shining through.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 01:09 AM

Rob?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Rob?
That's Cold Warrior's name? Rob?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 01:34 AM

No. You're acting like Rob when he gets banned, running into the feedback lounge whining and crying. If you don't like MacNN or the staff, there is no reason that you have to stay. This isn't a service that you are paying for, there is no contract between you and the moderation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 01:35 AM

Unfairly banned ? Consider it a badge of honor.
Many have been there in their 'NN life. Mods knee-jerk, and hand out infractions until they have enough reason to ban. Or they give you a special infraction that is worth an instant ban (happened to me).

At any point, there's no point in fighting it. Even if it was clear that they overreacted, they will never admit it.
You just gotta move on.

-t

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2011, 01:43 AM

In before facepalm

reader50
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 01:52 AM

I've consolidated the relevant posts into this thread. The "detail post" had to have 5 minutes added to it's posting time, to force it to 1st reply.
( Last edited by reader50; Feb 8, 2011 at 01:58 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 02:18 AM

After reading the staff discussions behind each infraction, my take:

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I asked for experiences, not advice. Your observation is that there are many in upper management without an MBA. Your advice is that it doesn't matter. And your experience is...?
It's obviously advice based on experience. My experience is that there are many people without MBAs in upper management. Some of the best I've worked with have no University.

I wonder how you have time to post so much on here?
Cold Warrior reported this post as rude, but the Lounge mods let it pass as being within topic. His eventual quote of it came after later events.

You were flagged by CW for a PWL post, in which you got a bit personal. Commenting on the poster rather than the topic, from what I can see.

Here's an idea Cold Warrior. Instead of spending all this time hanging out on MacNN, moderating and such, how about actually getting out into the world?

Then maybe you won't need to insulate yourself with education, and actually work and be out there progressing and making money.
This post draw a 2nd personal attack, which pushed your total to a tempban. It's unfortunate that CW (the participant in the thread) gave out the infraction, that looks bad. He reported it again, and got approval from 3 Lounge mods, plus concurrence from a non-Lounge mod first.

It would have been better if a Lounge mod had handed out the 2nd infraction directly. CW's doing it makes it look personal.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
After reading the staff discussions behind each infraction, my take:

Cold Warrior reported this post as rude, but the Lounge mods let it pass as being within topic. His eventual quote of it came after later events.

You were flagged by CW for a PWL post, in which you got a bit personal. Commenting on the poster rather than the topic, from what I can see.

This post draw a 2nd personal attack, which pushed your total to a tempban. It's unfortunate that CW (the participant in the thread) gave out the infraction, that looks bad. He reported it again, and got approval from 3 Lounge mods, plus concurrence from a non-Lounge mod first.

It would have been better if a Lounge mod had handed out the 2nd infraction directly. CW's doing it makes it look personal.
Thanks for the info and prompt reply. I appreciate it.

However, what you have left out is Cold Warrior's smug reply to the comment he leaned an infraction on, 15 minutes after giving me an infraction... rubbing it in my face that he gave me an infraction:

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior
You first brother, at least for 6 days 23 hours.
If that's not personal, I have no idea what is.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 02:39 AM

I've seen people in there calling others pussies and not getting any kind of infractions whatever.
We'll ignore for the moment that you're actually requesting to be grouped in with people who act assholes.

You know this... how?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 02:49 AM

mr. f, you personally attacked him simply because he was clarifying what he wanted a reply about;

"Here's an idea Cold Warrior. Instead of spending all this time hanging out on MacNN, moderating and such, how about actually getting out into the world?

Then maybe you won't need to insulate yourself with education, and actually work and be out there progressing and making money."

With what reader said about the PL infraction being given; I'd suggest just let this go, and move on in life. You're just making yourself look bad by complaining about being attacked when you started it in the first place.

Did you never receive consequences growing up for bad things? This post of yours makes me believe so.

Side note:
"I've seen people in there calling others pussies and not getting any kind of infractions whatever. If that's the case, serious issues with the way moderation is handled on here..."

From being here for a while, it's my personal experience that most people are usually embarrassed, or, shock, don't care of/about infractions, and don't want to make them getting in trouble public; for it makes them look whiny. Also, keep things that are personal, personal. You just told the entire "school" about your problem in a very public forum. Hopefully a boss, or co-worker doesn't find your post, and think that perhaps you're writing about problems at work on a blog somewhere.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Feb 8, 2011 at 03:05 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 02:49 AM

Request to extend ban on freudling and consider permaban status. He's seems like he's going to have a mental breakdown.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Request to extend ban on freudling and consider permaban status. He's seems like he's going to have a mental breakdown.
I'm not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but, if a grown man is willing to make a whine thread due to him not realizing why he was temp banned; then I second big mac's request so that mr. f can at least try and think about what he did, and hopefully realize what he did was wrong.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I'm not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but, if a grown man is willing to make a whine thread due to him not realizing why he was temp banned; then I second big mac's request so that mr. f can at least try and think about what he did, and hopefully realize what he did was wrong.
Nice deflection. This is about Cold Warrior rubbing it in my face that I was banned for 7 days, at his hand. That's all this thread is about. Go hijack another thread.

This is about objective moderation, and that is not objective. Period. No matter what you think of me, or anyone else, what he did is not objective. I would defend you even if I didn't like you if this was the case.

And no, I'm not going to have a mental breakdown, I'm calling attention to someone on this forum who deserves to have it.

Thank you reader50 for addressing this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 03:48 AM

freudling: my advice is to move on. Moderation of this board or any other is imperfect. You might be totally in the right here, but this effort is not worth your time, because if you were to get CW demoted there is no guarantee that there would not be another CW someday. In the meantime, you will be the subject of ridicule and be accused of whinging and other forms of verbal abuse by other members in here.

I would suggest just making your point as you have in a firm but non confrontational way and moving on. Such an incident may not occur again because of what was learned this time around, but if you belabor this or make a big scene out of it people might willingly choose to overlook any possible lessons here out of spite.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
freudling: my advice is to move on. Moderation of this board or any other is imperfect. You might be totally in the right here, but this effort is not worth your time, because if you were to get CW demoted there is no guarantee that there would not be another CW someday. In the meantime, you will be the subject of ridicule and be accused of whinging and other forms of verbal abuse by other members in here.

I would suggest just making your point as you have in a firm but non confrontational way and moving on. Such an incident may not occur again because of what was learned this time around, but if you belabor this or make a big scene out of it people might willingly choose to overlook any possible lessons here out of spite.
besson3c:

I agree. I was going to let this slide until I saw what CW posted. I was banned but now I see it. All I wanted to do is draw some attention to good old CW. I'm considering this done.

By the way, if anybody else wants to blow their horn about suggesting people get permabanned, remember, this stuff can easily come right back at you.

And lastly, if any of you wanted to know, I've found out that CW basically really pushed to give me infractions. He was turned down at first by other admins... later in the day he pushed again and the infractions/ban went through.

All I wanted to point out is that CW has demonstrated that he is not an objective moderator. Someone who may take a personal dislike of comments you post and seek out to get you banned/give infractions. First time it's happened to me like that here. The mods have always been pretty fair, but things lately seem to have slipped a bit.

That's it. So if you come across a CW, you know you're not alone.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 04:11 AM

besson3c:

I agree. I was going to let this slide until I saw what CW posted. I was banned but now I see it. All I wanted to do is draw some attention to good old CW. I'm considering this done.

By the way, if anybody else wants to blow their horn about suggesting people get permabanned, remember, this stuff can easily come right back at you.

And lastly, if any of you wanted to know, I've found out that CW basically really pushed to give me infractions. He was turned down at first by other admins... later in the day he pushed again and the infractions/ban went through.

All I wanted to point out is that CW has demonstrated that he is not an objective moderator. Someone who may take a personal dislike of comments you post and seek out to get you banned/give infractions. First time it's happened to me like that here. The mods have always been pretty fair, but things lately seem to have slipped a bit.

That's it. So if you come across a CW, you know you're not alone.

You say that all you wanted to do was draw some attention to this, but then you went on with other gripes and complaints about him that you could have addressed via PM with a sympathetic mod(s).

This is not exactly what I'd consider moving on, IMHO.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You say that all you wanted to do was draw some attention to this, but then you went on with other gripes and complaints about him that you could have addressed via PM with a sympathetic mod(s).

This is not exactly what I'd consider moving on, IMHO.
The more you post in here the more it's going to drudge on. Let's drop it.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2011, 04:31 AM

I've consolidated the relevant posts into this thread. The "detail post" had to have 5 minutes added to it's posting time, to force it to 1st reply.
I am both happy and honored that you considered my "in before facepalm" relevant. Thank you reader!

And for all of you reading at home:

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 05:47 AM

CW's doing it makes it look personal.
Of course it was personal. Smug overlord is what I said and I stand by it. I have no interest in any of the bullshit that is going down as I don't really care as I rarely post anymore as this community has changed for the worst.

"Moderate" he is not.

Waiting for another infraction....
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Of course it was personal. Smug overlord is what I said and I stand by it. I have no interest in any of the bullshit that is going down as I don't really care as I rarely post anymore as this community has changed for the worst.

"Moderate" he is not.

Waiting for another infraction....
Couldn't agree with you more. The one thing that simply left me scratching my head about CW's MBA ideas was how someone who claims to have advanced in his career, and is in management, could be moderating an Internet forum during the day, presuming CW isn't living abroad. That's what I was really questioning. Maybe I have no idea how much time it takes to moderate a forum, perhaps it's only 5 minutes a day or something.

But anyway, I agree, this place is touchy. Argue with anyone and you'll have the regular old pack of wolves on you, bugging you with absurdly boring screenshots, and the same templated humour. I found some good threads in the PWL, but CW sniffed those out quickly.

It's funny, there's this thing called an opinion, which people are by right allowed to have. An opinion belongs to the person holding it. Somehow, if you mention your opinion about someone, it'll more times than not end up in "Personal Attack!" "Infraction!". This place can certainly be lame.

What else is funny is I don't care what people think about me. Call me an axxhole, a no good blah blah. It doesn't bother me, and I don't want people to get infractions because of it. What bothers me is the double-standards, and all the "ganging up" people do around here, and the absurdity of it all.

I like fairness and objectivity. That's what this is all about.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the info and prompt reply. I appreciate it.

However, what you have left out is Cold Warrior's smug reply to the comment he leaned an infraction on, 15 minutes after giving me an infraction... rubbing it in my face that he gave me an infraction:

If that's not personal, I have no idea what is.
Personal? To me it wasn't nearly as personal as your post aimed at him. It also served the purpose of redirecting the thread away from the off-topic rudeness and back to the point of the thread. Mods are human, and your post in his thread got under his skin because you went so far out of the way to make it rude. Did he permanently ban you? No, he never even suggested that. In fact, he didn't "ban" you at all; he only issued the ban that put you over the point limit. So now I suggest that you demonstrate that you're adult enough to see that being rude and personal in a public forum is poor form.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Feb 8, 2011, 08:35 AM

And to reiterate what reader has posted before: three resident mods and other staffers (admins and non-resident mods) have unanimously agreed to temp-ban freudling before Cold Warrior pulled the trigger. freudling's past behavior has influenced our decision.

The lone gunman mod who is out to get you is a myth.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2011, 10:06 AM

I totally called it!

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If you've read any of his posts, you know that wasn't the only reason.

Edit: I look forward to the Feedback thread upon his return.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Personal? To me it wasn't nearly as personal as your post aimed at him. It also served the purpose of redirecting the thread away from the off-topic rudeness and back to the point of the thread. Mods are human, and your post in his thread got under his skin because you went so far out of the way to make it rude. Did he permanently ban you? No, he never even suggested that. In fact, he didn't "ban" you at all; he only issued the ban that put you over the point limit. So now I suggest that you demonstrate that you're adult enough to see that being rude and personal in a public forum is poor form.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
And to reiterate what reader has posted before: three resident mods and other staffers (admins and non-resident mods) have unanimously agreed to temp-ban freudling before Cold Warrior pulled the trigger. freudling's past behavior has influenced our decision.

The lone gunman mod who is out to get you is a myth.

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2011, 12:36 PM

Let he who is without snark, post the innocent victim thread.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 01:32 PM

The issue is with CW seeking this out himself, in response to comments he didn't like in his own thread. In addition, publicly rubbing it in my face that he got me banned.

That's not what a moderator should be doing.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 01:43 PM

I hope that one day we can move beyond this quagmire.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 02:02 PM

So much for moving on.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 05:22 PM

We've all moved on! Done!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 05:32 PM

Cool! Freudling, would you like to buy some Christmas candy canes?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2011, 06:52 PM

I think enough people have agreed to move on by now in this thread that it’s safe to say that the point has been made, the message has been heard, and all the posts that keep popping up in here don’t really do more than add that … well, that someone else has moved on, too, or wants to sell candy.

As such, let’s call it a day and hopefully achieve some closure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules