Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The other digital divide: limited 3G vs unlimited 3G

The other digital divide: limited 3G vs unlimited 3G
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2011, 06:36 PM

Does it bother your lifestyle, or does it really harm you?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 08:10 PM

What?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 09:50 PM

Poll needs more options. And a poll.

-t

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2011, 10:07 PM

I think we all prefer unlimited 3G. I don't understand why data prices keep going up instead of down, but I'm not happy about it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2011, 10:31 PM

Data prices go up because carriers keep upgrading their networks from one generation to the next. AT&T says they've spent $75 billion over the past five years on system upgrades.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Data prices go up because carriers keep upgrading their networks from one generation to the next. AT&T says they've spent $75 billion over the past five years on system upgrades.
You're one of the people who believes the "4G" crap? We're still on the 3G networks that are essentially the same now as they were in 2007 (apart from LTE, but that still isn't 4G).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2011, 10:42 PM

I've had an iPhone since 2007. I paid $30 per month for unlimited data in 2007. Now it's 2011 and I still pay $30 per month for unlimited data. So my data price has not gone up.

Now about the network. This is from wikipedia:

The AT&T Mobility wireless data network began in 2002 as a Cingular initiative called "Project Genesis" that involved a GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) overlay of the entire wireless network. Project Genesis was completed by the end of 2004. Later, this network was upgraded to EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) across the GSM footprint.

In 2005, AT&T Mobility launched a broadband network known as "BroadbandConnect," based on UMTS and High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), to counter Verizon Wireless and Sprint's EV-DO networks. UMTS service was launched on December 6, 2005 in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, San Jose, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Puerto Rico, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore and Washington D.C. and expanded to all major metropolitan markets by the end of 2006. As of early 2009, AT&T Mobility has completed its upgrade of the 3G network to HSUPA,[19] and will begin a new round of upgrades to the HSPA+ standard.
Mobile communication is complicated and expensive, but that complexity is masked from the consumer and most of the time "it just works".

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 11:00 PM

I don't like the trend of increasing data cost, but I'm not a big mobile data user anyway so I'm not substantially impacted by it. Most of the time I want to use data on my iPhone or iPad I'm at a location with WIFI access.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 09:49 AM

They still make more money than they know what to do with. I don't buy this argument. Advancements should be saving them money, not costing them more.

I've had an iPhone since 2007. I paid $30 per month for unlimited data in 2007. Now it's 2011 and I still pay $30 per month for unlimited data. So my data price has not gone up.
When I got my iphone in 2007 unlimited data was $20/month and came with 200 texts. The same service today costs $30/month for the data plus $5 for the texts. $20 -> $35 is a big change.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 09:51 AM

AT&T has enough subscribers that they could pay for any network upgrade just by charging an extra $10 to everyone for one month.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 11:04 AM

Screw that, I've got unlimited 4G (Verizon LTE). 20 Mb/s down.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
They still make more money than they know what to do with. I don't buy this argument. Advancements should be saving them money, not costing them more.

When I got my iphone in 2007 unlimited data was $20/month and came with 200 texts. The same service today costs $30/month for the data plus $5 for the texts. $20 -> $35 is a big change.
I agree with you totally and that was what I paid as well. $20, when I upgraded a few years back I got bumped to $30. Another thing I hate is when you upgrade the phone they tax you for a $650 phone, not what you purchase the phone for. That should be illegal.

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Screw that, I've got unlimited 4G (Verizon LTE). 20 Mb/s down.
Not for new users. Verizon is now $80 for 10GB with a $10/per GB overcharge.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I agree with you totally and that was what I paid as well. $20, when I upgraded a few years back I got bumped to $30. Another thing I hate is when you upgrade the phone they tax you for a $650 phone, not what you purchase the phone for. That should be illegal.
They also upped the overage charges on text messages. Seriously, what network improvements have they made that warranted doubling the overage charge of what I previously got for free, but now get charged for?

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 11:53 AM

Mass efficiencies should allow for more synergetic usage of a cell infrastucture, keeping the same subscriber to investment ratio.
But it seems that the cell phone company does not want to invest on towers, or government/communities won't let it happen.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Not for new users. Verizon is now $80 for 10GB with a $10/per GB overcharge.
That's why I switched last month so I could get grandfathered in.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2011, 12:21 PM

Good call

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 01:43 PM

If I had unlimited 3G i would drop my home internet connection.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
If I had unlimited 3G i would drop my home internet connection.
But would you be willing to pay as much for unlimited 3G as you currently do for your home connection? That seems to be the sticking point that most people can't get over.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 12, 2011, 02:17 PM

I'd pay $40/month for unlimited 3/4G.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
But would you be willing to pay as much for unlimited 3G as you currently do for your home connection? That seems to be the sticking point that most people can't get over.
3G is currently more expensive then my home connection but to answer your question yes, if it was unlimited I would gladly pay 50 a month for it since I could remove the home connection saving money instead of duplicating access. Paying 30.00 a month for 6GB 3G data and paying 50 a month for high speed cable internet. I much rather consolidate the 2 separate Internets into one. Come to think about it my roommate also has his own 6GB for 30 a month on his phone as well. So as it stands we are paying $110.00 for 2 Mobile Internet connections 6GB each and 1 Cable Internet connection. Living on my own would be a savings. With the 2 of us its not really a difference after all.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 06:25 PM

3G for home internet sucks. My parents thought they could do it, but then they realize they use about 90 Gb of data a month, and the highest any provider will let you go a month with unlimited before they start limiting speeds is 5 Gb.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't like the trend of increasing data cost, but I'm not a big mobile data user anyway so I'm not substantially impacted by it. Most of the time I want to use data on my iPhone or iPad I'm at a location with WIFI access.
Same here. I pay 59.99 for unlimited text and 200MB 3G service, and I rarely go over 50MB a month since most places I go have WiFi. I will never give a cell company 100 dollars a month so I can check facebook on the go, waste of money. Even last month I used the navigator app and google maps alot, and still only used about 100MB.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 07:21 PM

My Cell package right now is
$35.00 Unlimited Calling (in/out) and Unlimited International SMS
$30.00 6GB of Data
$30.00 Unlimited North American Long Distance
$10.00 for Visual Voice Mail, Call Display, Name Display and all that other stuff.

Service wise I actually get 2-3mb/s downloads through 3G and 5 bars cell coverage almost everywhere with the lowest being 4 bars inside buildings. No dropped calls. So you could say im happy with what I have. I like the unlimited because the bill is always the same, no surprises and no constrictions. I don't have to worry about how long the call is and so forth.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'd pay $40/month for unlimited 3/4G.
Heck, I'd even pay $20 for that.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 10:39 PM