Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > white MacBook screen problem

white MacBook screen problem
Pomar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2011, 09:58 AM

Hello everyone

I'm running a white MacBook (MacBook White Early 2009). Sometimes, after working for while or surfing the web, the screen becomes black. It may also happen that the light comes back if I move the screen, but then I can't work: the screen's new angle makes it impossible for me to type or see anything in a natural position.

Has anybody experienced a similar situation? If so, what was the cause?

And the solution?

I've already replaced a hard drive in a iBook, so I wouldn't mind opening the box and replacing what needs to be replaced...

Thank you!

Pomar

MacBook White Early 2009, Mac OS X 10.7.2, 4 GB RAM.
( Last edited by Pomar; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typo!)

Pomar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2011, 08:59 PM

I forgot to mention that when I plug an external monitor and choose «Detect Displays» I get video.

The problem started aprox. 2 months after installing Lion.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2011, 09:56 PM

I assume plugging in an external monitor doesn't get the video back on the built-in screen?

When the screen goes black, look at it very closely. Shine a bright light on it, or from behind it and see if you can still see the image on the screen.

I suspect the backlight is going out. This could be the LCD, or the sleep switch but is most likely an inverter or inverter cable. Annoying to replace but not impossible. Fewer screws than an iBook HDD, but you need to remember where those cables go.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Pomar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2011, 10:28 PM

Hi, Waragainstsleep, thank you for your answer.

I assume plugging in an external monitor doesn't get the video back on the built-in screen?
You are right, no video on the MacBook. I only have video in the external monitor.

When the screen goes black, look at it very closely. Shine a bright light on it, or from behind it and see if you can still see the image on the screen.
Yes, I can. It's fainted, but it's there.

I suspect the backlight is going out. This could be the LCD, or the sleep switch but is most likely an inverter or inverter cable. Annoying to replace but not impossible. Fewer screws than an iBook HDD, but you need to remember where those cables go.
Do you think I could easily buy one of those in an electronics store?

Thank you.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 05:20 AM

No, you need the specific part for your MacBook. They are mostly interchangeable in the MacBooks from 2006-2008/9 I believe.

There are guides on how to do it on ifixit.com. You can get the part(s) from eBay or a site like powerbookmedic.com.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Pomar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2011, 06:13 AM

Thank you, Waragainstsleep. I think I just got myself a project for the holidays...

Forum Links
Forum Rules