Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disappearing Desktop Picture anomaly

Disappearing Desktop Picture anomaly
ergo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2012, 10:32 PM

My desktop picture/entire screen have been covered with a white screen/background; when I first start my machine up my desktop picture appears for several seconds and then is overlaid with the white background.
When I shut down, my desktop picture appears for a few seconds before quitting.
What could have caused this anomaly and how can I fix it?
I need to transfer some files from my external hard drive to my machine but can't since my external HD doesn't show on my desktop because of the white background.
I reinstalled my OS but the problem continues. I'm thinking that if the problem is still occurring with a fresh OS reinstall, the issue is not with the OS but with some other installed software or possibly a hardware problem of some sort.
Any ideas or suggestions?
I've never before experienced this problem. I've been running OS 10.6.8 for months without problems.

MacBook Pro w/OS 10.6.8
( Last edited by ergo; Jan 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jan 2, 2012, 01:08 AM

Can you see the menu bar, and/or windows/dialog boxes? Or does the white cover everything?

If it covers everything - do you have an external monitor available? This could be an issue with your built-in display.

Also, you can try booting in Safe mode. During bootup, hold down the shift key. The bootup window should presently update to "Safe Mode" in red, after which you can let go of the shift key. Safe mode disables most system extras.

If the white doesn't cover everything - have you tried another user account? Create a new one if needed, then switch into it. It'll be a blank account. If everything works normally there, then the problem is some customization in your regular account.

ergo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2012, 05:59 AM

Menu bar/windows do show when white screen replaces my desktop. When booting in safe mode white screen still appears.
In new user account there's no white screen; I can set whichever desktop i choose BUT there's no HD icon and I can't make one appear.
In my regular account, after booting up and before the white screen does its thing I can see that there's a HD icon on my desktop which, of course, is then hidden by the white screen and is inaccessible.
( Last edited by ergo; Jan 2, 2012 at 07:07 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jan 2, 2012, 12:50 PM

In the new account:

Finder menu bar -> Finder -> Preferences -> General tab

As to the old account, it's likely some corrupted preference file or an undesired login item.

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> (your account) -> Login Items (tab)

Select anything that looks optional and click the [-] button below to remove it. Then log out and back in to see if that was it.

As to preferences, you can try trashing these files to see if it helps.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.desktopscreeneffect.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktopservices.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.*

Move them to the Trash, but don't empty it. Log out / back in. (if you emptied the trash first, the files might be recreated during logout)

If it works you'll have to reset a few preferences afterwards. You'll likely come up with the default Snow Leopard desktop pic.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ergo View Post
I need to transfer some files from my external hard drive to my machine but can't since my external HD doesn't show on my desktop because of the white background.
Drives don't need to show on the desktop to use them. Every Finder window is a portal to your file system, and drives are listed in the sidebar by default. As for your new account, I think the default setting is for hard drives not to appear on the desktop. To change that, Finder Preferences > General.

ergo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
In the new account:
As to the old account, it's likely some corrupted preference file or an undesired login item.

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> (your account) -> Login Items (tab)

Select anything that looks optional and click the [-] button below to remove it. Then log out and back in to see if that was it.
Well, it looks like you pointed me in the right direction. I removed all login items in my admin account and logged in and voila! no more white screen. Dunno which of the login items is the culprit but I'll add them back one at a time and see which causes the white screen, if, in fact, the white screen rears its ugly head again.
Anyway, thanks so much for your help. I owe ya a couple of cold lagers!

reader50
Administrator
Jan 3, 2012, 02:05 AM

Let us know the culprit if you find it. It would be good info for the next person who has this problem.

ergo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2012, 12:52 PM

OK, I found the offending miscreant; it's the screenshot app 'Instantshot'. I also discovered that if I just launch Instantshot the white screen appears.
Funny thing is that I've been using Instantshot for the past year or so without any issues.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 4, 2012, 02:39 AM

Try trashing its preference file.

ergo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2012, 12:23 PM

I deleted my Instantshot installation and redownloaded the app. They've got both a beta update and a stable one....I installed both this time.
Well, whaddya know, both work just fine, without any problems showing.....the white screen issue hasn't reoccurred. Maybe my original installation was corrupted in some way. Anyway, all's well now....fingers crossed.

luckyguarim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2012, 07:46 PM

Solved for me too! I simply clicked on the INSTANTSHOT icon on the menubar and unchecked the "SHOW BACKGROUND WINDOW" and the background return to normal, now i can select whatever BG i want in the preferences. I was looking for this solution on several forums, deleted preferences files, etc, but only this worked. Thanks very much, the background is so important to me, because i put all of my life goals on it! haha = )

all the best

Forum Links
Forum Rules