Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Email spam from someone I know?

Email spam from someone I know?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2012, 03:39 PM

I realize that it is common for spammers to use fake return addresses, but I recently received spam from a person that I know which was CC'd to dozens of other addresses which as far as I can tell came directly from their Gmail address book.

Is there a way to conclusively tell if the spam was sent from their account?

From my novice reading of the headers it really looks like the message did come from my friends Gmail account...

Does it even matter??
I'm not really in a position to help them fix the mess. I'm pretty sure they are Windows users.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2012, 04:41 PM

Beyond checking the IP addresses of the server they were sent from and then checking the hostnames etc. there isn't much you can do anyway. If your friend has IMAP set up on a PC then it could be a local bot, virus or malware program sending them out. Might be worth telling them to scan their PC and change their passwords.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2012, 05:04 PM

Is there a way to tell if this came directly through Gmail or if it is just using a forged 'From' address?
"SENDER-REDACTED@gmail" = my friends email address.

Code:
Delivered-To: [email protected] Received: by 10.112.146.34 with SMTP id sz2csp43911lbb; Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:59:58 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: <[email protected]> Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 10.180.102.3 as permitted sender) client-ip=10.180.102.3; Authentication-Results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 10.180.102.3 as permitted sender) [email protected]; dkim=pass [email protected] Received: from mr.google.com ([10.180.102.3]) by 10.180.102.3 with SMTP id fk3mr6314652wib.9.1334426398159 (num_hops = 1); Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:59:58 -0700 (PDT) DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=FFcTfqDTfsw90y/CKEVN15+7WZZTfVFbaVpZfkJJliM=; b=d2SoIDwcWeQfCdpJDwDVNXqrNAt0f45fju8FHmiR9yIfl1d2tF2VZ3nLClGye7wfep rvu0a3Yk7wAzszNhdHFr0yjyI3gzlxP8FcVnL0doI/zgKugeBE5CJ80OEobNWL0CY3Vf xioeTSSVF7RTpbb1pqSzk3xX5cKWjPyPPFjAgJnaESo71zBo//tzZa2+297ODj860H7x 8WudMJGktbfLZqVOrXvWsk4/5YuM/qA4PPqDhRQjakG1S44q5JT5poh0i9RIX0D+sllj ICjvUMSe9rwt4mppzJIhA/IMmmQYi7naD73i70czyuvU+CD73BP1qONLC1Gh28ytCIHl OWkA== MIME-Version: 1.0 Received: by 10.180.102.3 with SMTP id fk3mr5606274wib.9.1334426398122; Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:59:58 -0700 (PDT) Received: by 10.180.93.197 with HTTP; Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:59:58 -0700 (PDT)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2012, 08:54 PM

Looks reasonably similar to the last one I got sent from a gmail account.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Apr 15, 2012, 07:46 AM

FWIW, my daughter's university, which uses Gmail for their campus email system, has recently been dealing with spam being sent from students' email accounts. The virus/bot gains access to the students' email accounts and starts sending spam to everyone in their "Sent" folder. So, as far as Gmail goes, yes, it could be coming from their actual Gmail account.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2012, 09:04 AM

...but not necessarily from their computer. There are two basic exploits possible here. First, the user's computer itself could be infected. This is more likely if the user runs Windows, but that may not be obvious to anyone who receives the spam. In this case, the malware simply takes advantage of any mail client and acts like a fairly common virus, sending out its drivel as if it were the user,

The other exploit, which has happened to a few of my acquaintances, involves capturing Gmail traffic from some other source, such as a weak and/or malicious social networking extension/game/etc. One friend had this happen with both a photo sharing Facebook app (a long time ago, it isn't there anymore), and with a "free online invitations!1!!!1" app that grabbed her Flikr account somehow.

Inform the apparent source that the spam is happening, and from which address, so they can protect themselves and apologize to those who got the spam.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2012, 09:06 AM

Is this malware that infects a persons machine and then runs a local mailbot, or is it happening via some sort of automated access to the Gmail site?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2012, 09:20 AM

It could be either, but more likely it is a local infetction that runs a bot, either its own mail routines, or slipping in with the local mail client. Or it could be a browser virus that slips into Gmail when the user logs in.

It is never a good idea to run Windows without virus protection, but the friend I mentioned earlier had one of these exploits catch her while using a very robust corporate antivirus package, which may mean that it wasn't a virus on her machine but instead an exploit that took advantage of her social networking habits.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Apr 15, 2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
...but not necessarily from their computer.
Yes, absolutely it was not coming from students' computers. It was completely happening on the university's Gmail accounts. So, I guess that would an infection on Google's servers, yes?

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2012, 09:56 AM

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to help them fix this and I doubt they are savvy enough to be able to clean this up on their own.

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Yes, absolutely it was not coming from students' computers. It was completely happening on the university's Gmail accounts. So, I guess that would an infection on Google's servers, yes?
Hopefully the Google server's haven't actually been hacked - maybe like Glenn mentioned it is some sort of FaceBook app attack that gets access to the users Gmail acct.

abby
Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM

you can ask them personally if they're the one who sent it. i usually receive a lot of spam emails from the email address that my friend use. i asked her if she know that she sending me a lot of spam emails but she said she didn't know any of it. i guess her email is hacked :/

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by abby View Post
you can ask them personally if they're the one who sent it. i usually receive a lot of spam emails from the email address that my friend use. i asked her if she know that she sending me a lot of spam emails but she said she didn't know any of it. i guess her email is hacked :/
Why do you assume her email has been hacked?

Look at the envelope address in the full headers to see where it is originating from.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 24, 2012, 06:25 PM

If her computer has been compromised somehow, her gmail name/login could have been sent to someone else. Then the spammer logs into her gmail account with automated tools, and sends spam to all her contacts. After harvesting the addresses of course.

Change her gmail password to a new random pw. And check the account, see if the emergency email address has been changed, allowing the spammers to recover access after the pw change.

Finally, tell her to dump her winbox and get a Mac.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
If her computer has been compromised somehow, her gmail name/login could have been sent to someone else. Then the spammer logs into her gmail account with automated tools, and sends spam to all her contacts. After harvesting the addresses of course.

Change her gmail password to a new random pw. And check the account, see if the emergency email address has been changed, allowing the spammers to recover access after the pw change.

Finally, tell her to dump her winbox and get a Mac.

It's possible, but it's probably far more likely that this is just your garden variety spoofing, since there is so much of this out there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules