Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Installed slave HD freezes MAC

Installed slave HD freezes MAC
ANDYB38
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 09:21 AM

I purchased an internal Drive for my Blue/White G3 a couple of months ago, but as yet I can't get it to work�
The first time installed, everything went well, I formatted the disk etc, but the mac kept on crashing, but now the machine won't even startup when the additional drive is connected (as a slave)

Does anyone have a solution as I desperately need this extra HD space?

Thanks

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2001, 09:44 AM

Well that depends....Do you have a rev 1 or a Rev 2 B&W ?? See the following pages to identify the differences:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/y...wfeatures.html

Basically, the rev 1 models will not support more than 1 HD on the internal IDE bus, due the bad controller chip on the mobo. You can however add a PCI ATA card, and connect the extra HD to it. This will also give you the added benefit of getting higher throughput of up to 66MB/s, as opposed to the 16 or 33MB/s that the mobo IDE is limited to.

If you have the rev 2 model, then perhaps you could try to reformat the drive again, and use the "write all zeros" option in DriveSetup, and re-install the OS. If this doesnt work, then the drive is probably bad.

HTH
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

Mrmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2001, 07:26 PM

A simple test would be to disconnect the CD (OR DVD) and plug the drive instead. You'll be able to see if it's the controller that does not supports it or can be a bad drive/cable...

------------------
Sebastien Richard
Senior Mac Technician
SRS Technologie
[email protected]
Sebastien Richard
Senior Mac Technician
SRS Technologie
[email protected]

PowerBookDude
Mar 18, 2001, 07:56 PM

How do you set which drive is a slave and what is the master?

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport
------------------
Pismo 500/256/12/Airport
------------------
iMac DV SE 400/128/12/Airport
------------------
iBook Blueberry 300/96/3/Airport

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2001, 08:25 PM

Can u put a hard drive on the bus that has the DVD drive?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 11:54 PM

PowerBookDude.......you mean to tell us that with all those macs you have, you dont know how to set HD selections ? wazzzuppp wit dat

But seriously, the master/slave designation is set in 2 ways, both of which are necessary to run more than one drive on the same IDE channel......first is by the jumper pins & block on the drive itself. Most drives are set from the factory as master, or possibly single mode. Each mfgr MAY have different combos of jumper arrangements and pinouts, but nowadays, alot of the EIDE/ATA drive settings are very similiar if not identical. You just have to have the instructions that came with the drive, or get the diagram from the mfgr.

The 2nd way is with the 80 wire, 40 pin EIDE cable that is REQUIRED. The main connector (black one) at the very end of the cable is for the master drive only, and the connector about 1/3 of the way down the cable (grey one) is only for the slave drive. The blue connector at the other end is the one that connects to the mobo, or controller card..........

HTH

PowerBookDude
Mar 19, 2001, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by muttfree:
PowerBookDude.......you mean to tell us that with all those macs you have, you dont know how to set HD selections ? wazzzuppp wit dat

HTH
Well, I know how to change what disk is the start up disk under StartUp Control Panel .

One more question... what is HTH??

I hate all these IMHO, IMO, FYI there is to many!!!

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport
------------------
Pismo 500/256/12/Airport
------------------
iMac DV SE 400/128/12/Airport
------------------
iBook Blueberry 300/96/3/Airport

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2001, 01:20 PM

quote: "The 2nd way is with the 80 wire, 40 pin EIDE cable that is REQUIRED."

That cable is an Ultra ATA cable which only comes on the newer Macs with ATA 66 IDE controllers. On those machines it really IS required. On earlier Macs (B&W G3s and PCI G4s) you just have normal IDE cables which don't care which drive is master and which is slave (and you set master/slave with jumpers on the drive itself).

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2001, 09:09 PM

Dude .........what I was talking about was NOT the start-up disk CP, but rather the jumper blocks on the body of the drive itself. Look at step # 4 on this page for a picture:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/add_2...e/index2.html. (Best source for all mac things upgrade-wise BTW........)

Do you see the rows of pins? The ones on the left are for the IDE cable, the smaller ones in the middle are the jumper pins, and the larger ones to the far right are the power connectors.

The ones in the middle will have small, plastic bridge pieces on them with a small metal piece inside, that slides down over each set of 2 pins. This is how you set the master/slave designators. You just have to have the instructions from the mfgr to know how to set them. As you can see, the picture above shows an IBM and a Maxtor drive, and both of them have the jumbers in different places. If they are set wrong, then your system will not recognize, nor boot from the drive, among other things.

and BTW (by the way)...
HTH = "Hope this Helps" or "Happy to Help"
IMO = In my opinion
IMHO = In my humble opinion
FYI = For your information

I know a place where these and many other terms are defined. I will look for the link and post it later. It was on the forums over at MacCentral awhile back, so give me a day or 2 to find it............

And snodman, for the rev 1 B&W's yes you are correct, since they were never designed for slave drives, but my rev 2 came with an Ultra ATA cable already. I thought I would need to buy one, but when I got my 1st Maxtor ATA/66 drive, the cable that came with it was identical to the OEM cable in my machine. I took it to a local mac dealer and he assured me that it was indeed an 80wire/40pin cable, and he compared it to one he had for sale and they were identical also

Forum Links
Forum Rules