Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Did I break apart my iPod (nano)? (7th gen)

Did I break apart my iPod (nano)? (7th gen)
HamSandwich
Apr 26, 2013, 11:45 AM

Hello,

I woke up this morning and my iPod nano didn't start. It was weird, I tried pressing the start button both long and short, but to no avail - didn't start up, showed nothing on the screen.

To be honest, I did two things in the past days that were a bit unusual:
1) I tried just leaving the iPod on with the screen turned off, I think for nearly ten hours, I just wanted to see if that's possible, would be a good change of habit, I thought.
2) I tried charging with a USB-to-power-adapter instead of on my notebook directly, and I thought this would be no problem.

To be honest, when I pressed Power and Home and the same time, suddenly it started up again and it works entirely normally ever since. But there's still lots of warranty on it, though. Any ideas? Big mistake?

Thanks,
PeteParker

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2013, 12:36 PM

It just locked up, and you rebooted it using the reset combination.

All good. It happens.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2013, 12:12 PM

Neither of your "out of the ordinary" acts was bad, or that much out of the ordinary. Running an iPod with the screen turned off will give you more play time before it runs the battery down. Charging it from a wall charger will simply charge it without interaction with the computer (I do this all the time). Having an iPod lock up and need a restart isn't that uncommon, either, though I've never seen it happen while playing, only afterward, sitting on the counter for a while.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

HamSandwich
Apr 28, 2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Neither of your "out of the ordinary" acts was bad, or that much out of the ordinary. Running an iPod with the screen turned off will give you more play time before it runs the battery down. Charging it from a wall charger will simply charge it without interaction with the computer (I do this all the time). Having an iPod lock up and need a restart isn't that uncommon, either, though I've never seen it happen while playing, only afterward, sitting on the counter for a while.
No, no, it wasn't playing, it just lay there overnight and I hadn't turned it off, but the screen was turned off. Until now, I just turned it on and off all the time - is that so unusual? Is it unncessary? Never thought so much about it...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 02:57 PM

Continue to not think about it.

Your iPod locked up; you restarted it.

Normal.

Relax.

Forum Links
Forum Rules