Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Mac users seeing request to upgrade to unreleased iTunes 12.2 [u]

Mac users seeing request to upgrade to unreleased iTunes 12.2 [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 30, 2015, 05:09 PM

[Update: iTunes 12.2 now released at 6PM ET] While iOS users are experiencing changes related to Apple Music, Mac users are also seeing things fall into place, but at a far slower pace. Before Mac users will be able to use Apple Music and listen to Beats 1, they will have to upgrade iTunes from the current version 12.1.2 to version 12.2 -- an update which is currently unavailable to download by users, and is conspicuous by its absence on a day when Apple has overloaded it servers with a plethora of major, minor, and security updates.

The iTunes Store in the United Kingdom shows the link to Beats 1 in the right-hand side menu. When clicked, it brings up a warning message, advising that "an Apple Music membership requires iTunes 12.2 or later," with options to cancel or to upgrade the software. When MacNN selected the upgrade button, a new browser window opened, showing the normal iTunes download page for version 12.1.2. Updating iTunes within the program itself states it is at the most current version, again 12.1.2.

It is believed by MacNN staff that an iTunes update will go live soon, if not tonight.

Update: As predicted, Apple has now released iTunes 12.2 for Mac, now available through the Software Update function from the Mac App Store.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 30, 2015 at 06:23 PM. )

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2015, 05:50 PM

...and the internet radio stations that used to work for me are now suggesting I am in a different country & am not legally able to enjoy the content my tax dollars have paid for...

...back to my old discrete Sony receiver that gets FM radio, without hooks, online surveillance, internet cops and Apple developer revenue generation cycles to screw things up - it dates from the late 70's and is beautifully crafted in mill grade aluminum, can still be repaired by the local shop (caps & resistors vs hybrid ICs) and has been working flawlessly without upgrades...

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 30, 2015, 06:07 PM

We are seeing some issues with iTunes Radio streaming - we're going to talk a little about that tonight. We're split on if the omissions are intentional, or a result of loads on Apple servers.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2015, 07:15 PM

Why does Apple do these multiple upgrades on the same day? Their servers invariably overload—as they are now—and users are stuck with trying multiple times. (Right now the app store isn't even responding when the app runs.) It's sloppy. Apple should figure out the best order to release the upgrades and not worry if a new money-making option comes out a day later.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2015, 08:55 PM

Inkling: honestly, I think it's to stress-test the people who work at Mac/Apple news sites like this one. A few relatively sleepy weeks, then BOOM!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2015, 08:58 PM

But seriously: obviously most of the major ones (OS X, iTunes, iOS) had to come out together because they all share the central launching service. But yeah, Garageband? iBooks Author? I mean thanks, but they couldn't wait till tomorrow?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2015, 10:00 PM

"Tax dollars"

Heh.

Oh, if only taxes worked like that. I suppose you might be one of the ones that thinks they "own" part of the highway system because some of your tax dollars go toward infrastructure. So which 3 pebbles in the asphalt of the network of highways in the entire state/nation are yours? Which one-inch copper strand in the state's/nation's communication network that allows the internet to function belongs to you? Which microscopic piece of trash that was cleaned up at the local public park do we have you to thank for?

I don't think you understand "taxes" very well.

On a side note, iTunes problems a-plenty over here. Software Update won't even show me the available 10.10.04 update. My iPhone updated to the new iOS release OTA just fine -- as for my Macs, though, it's no dice so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules