Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook tries to go on-line for no apparent reason.

iBook tries to go on-line for no apparent reason.
Ry�kan
Nov 29, 2001, 04:19 PM

My new iBook opens Remote Access and tries to go on-line, even when the web browser and e-mail applications are shut down. I've got "connect automatically when connecting TCP/IP applications" active -- but my Remote Access launches even when I'm not connecting TCP/IP applications.

Any ideas? Thanks

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Ry�kan ]

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2001, 05:40 PM

Do you have the date&time control panel set to use a network time server? Or maybe it's set to automatically check for software updates.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2001, 10:09 PM

details, details!
what OS? are you using Earthlink (i've seen this happen with earthlink users...they have a workaround in their mac troubleshooting section)...

there are some control panel possibilities..
are you using appletalk? file sharing on?? web sharing??

you could ask your service provider for help...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ry�kan  (op)
Nov 30, 2001, 12:09 PM

Thanks for responding. Details details: (1) I'm in OS 9.2; (2) My ISP is a local server named Softcom; I have not contacted them yet; (3) Yes, the 'Date & Time' control panel was set to use a network time server; maybe that was it; I'll de-activate that and see if it solves the problem. (4) No, I was not set to automatically check for software up-dates, but that was a possibility I had not considered. (5) Yes, AppleTalk and File Sharing were turned on, although I'm not usually networked with any other computers. (Once in a while I trade files with an iMac in the house.) I'll try turning those off as well. (6) No, web sharing is not active.
I'm open to any additional thoughts.
Thanks.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Ry�kan ]

iPaul UK
Senior User
Nov 30, 2001, 12:52 PM

Spookily enough.. I have had a slightly similar problem on my iBook 600 (OS 9.2.1). It could be completely unrelated to your problem though? Who knows!

Anyway, there has been numerous times when I have been online using my (Lame) dial up connection. And all of a sudden, the modem starts dialing up again, Even tho I was already online! It will get about half way through dialing up the number, then stop as if it realized it was doing something dumb. Of course this has the effect of immedietly getting me dumped off the line. Bit of a pain that... But it hasn't happened too often. And it didn't occour when I was using any particular apps either..

Curiouser and curioser..

Forum Links
Forum Rules