Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AirTunes and OSX 10.3

AirTunes and OSX 10.3
robbie stogs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 02:33 PM

When I try to install AirTunes it says that I need to upgrade to 10.3. Does that mean I have to upgrade to panther? I just got this PB in January.
im a n00b

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 02:40 PM

Well, if it requires 10.3 it requires 10.3.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Well, if it requires 10.3 it requires 10.3.
As Finlay says, 10.3=Panther (which is what you need).

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:16 PM

PS - if you just bought the PB in January, it should have come with Panther (unless you bought it second-hand).

It may also be that you need to upgrade the version of 10.3 that you are running (by running software update a few times)
cpac

robbie stogs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 03:25 PM

When I bought it panther was released about a week or 2 before i believe. the sales guy said I could get a free copy from mac, but i never went ahead with it. some people said that it wasnt worth it to upgrade and just stick with the one on it now. im kicking myself now.
im a n00b

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 03:40 PM

He has a point... a VERY strong point. If you buy a computer and you buy something for it 7 months later and it won't run on it because it's too old THERE IS a a problem regardless of the system.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
He has a point... a VERY strong point. If you buy a computer and you buy something for it 7 months later and it won't run on it because it's too old THERE IS a a problem regardless of the system.
That makes no sense at all. According to your theory Apple shouldn't be allowed to design software which takes advantage of their new OS until a certain waiting period has passed. How long whould it take? 1 year?. AirTunes uses capabilities that were added with Panther, it requires Panther. If you want to use AirTunes, get Panther.

-matt

jmonty12
Jul 23, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by robbie stogs:
When I bought it panther was released about a week or 2 before i believe. the sales guy said I could get a free copy from mac, but i never went ahead with it. some people said that it wasnt worth it to upgrade and just stick with the one on it now. im kicking myself now.
I believe you should still be able to get the "free" upgrade (probably have to pay about $20 for shipping.) Call Apple and ask. They know when you purchased the computer and should agree you get the upgrade.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 04:56 PM

Panther was released in October, a few months before you bought your PowerBook.

The Up-To-Date program for Panther ended in February: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

And, Mac is the product; Apple is the company.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 05:09 PM

[B some people said that it wasnt worth it to upgrade and just stick with the one on it now. im kicking myself now. [/B]
Aye - you should kick those people too. Anybody who was saying "it's not worth the upgrade" was talking about paying $130 for it, NOT about getting it for free (and I guarantee none of them would have bought a system with 10.3 on it, and downgraded to 10.2).

Also, except in rare instances, upgrading your Mac's system software is ALWAYS a good idea - unlike windows where many people I know considered 2000->XP to be a downgrade, I"ll say that most everybody here would agree that each step from 10.0->10.1->10.2->10.3 (and presumably -> 10.4 when Tiger's released next year) were major improvements in almost every respect.

PS - even if the up to date program is over, you should still try calling Apple or visiting an Apple store - they'll often get around the technical rules for sympathetic stories like yours - especially since you bought the Airport Express!
cpac

robbie stogs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
Panther was released in October, a few months before you bought your PowerBook.

The Up-To-Date program for Panther ended in February: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

And, Mac is the product; Apple is the company.
well now that i think about it, i bought the computer before january. it was right after panther came out. oh well, i will be upgrading in a few days. i want my airtunes working!
im a n00b

Forum Links
Forum Rules