Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon PIXMA iP4200 vs. HP Deskjet 5940 Photo Printer

Canon PIXMA iP4200 vs. HP Deskjet 5940 Photo Printer
zonk3r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 04:41 PM

My girlfriend is getting a new PowerBook in the next few days along with a new printer. She's currently a PC user (very anxious to switch to Mac) and we have a hybrid home network of PC's and Mac's using ethernet and wifi.

We need a good printer that can allow me to print from my ethernet attached WinXP PC and Tiger Mac to her new printer attached to her new Tiger PowerBook over the wifi network.

She has decided to get either the Canon PIXMA iP4200 or the HP Deskjet 5940 Photo Printer due to the rebate deal on Apple's website (and simplified shipping for the whole bundle).

I'm most concerned with how well the drivers will work with network printing from my PC and Mac to her PowerBook. I've heard that some of the Canon PIXMA printers have semi-carbonized drivers that don't work well with network printing via Printer Sharing. Is this true? Anyone with experience with these printers care to chime in with their opinions?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2005, 05:24 PM

No experience, but I LOVE my PIXMA IP5000.
ice

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 05:40 PM

My lord get the Canon. Everyone here will back that one up.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

zonk3r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 07:38 PM

Okay, but does the Canon work properly when I send a print job from a Windows or Mac machine to her PowerBook (which the printer will be hooked up to) using Printer Sharing? I bring this up because I've heard that there are problems with the Canon and Printer Sharing...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 10, 2005, 12:57 AM

I can't speak for Windows use, but I've had zero trouble doing Mac-to-Mac print sharing with my Canon. The only important thing is to make sure you've installed the same version of the print driver on both Macs -- otherwise, the remote Mac won't get show all the available printer options in the print dialog.

tooki

zonk3r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the info tooki, I appreciate it.

So now that we have established it works Mac to Mac, I still need to know if it works PC to Mac for it to be of use to me. Anyone try this part of the equation? Much thanks in advance!

nerd
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 01:11 AM

I would think you would add the printer using the CUPS port. Do a search on it in the forums (I can't remember off the top of my head).

I can print from my PC to my Laserjet attached to a G5 and it works fine. I don't see any reason the Canon would be different since it shares fine with other Macs.

Brad

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by zonk3r
Okay, but does the Canon work properly when I send a print job from a Windows or Mac machine to her PowerBook (which the printer will be hooked up to) using Printer Sharing? I bring this up because I've heard that there are problems with the Canon and Printer Sharing...
Worked perfectly with my old Canon.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 10, 2005, 01:18 AM

You definitely can do the PostScript method of printing to the Mac; it doesn't give you proper print options on the PC, though.

But you can add a second, "raw" print queue to CUPS through its web interface, and set up Windows accordingly with IPP, and it'll work.

tooki

zonk3r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 02:14 AM

Ahh, but from the research I've done says that this printer's drivers **aren't** CUPS drivers at all, they print directly to the printer...

Here's some links I've found:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...Fencoding=UTF8

(I also posted this question here with some folks commenting)
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/grou...m/918009275731

Can anyone actually verify this or suggest a workaround that they are sure works?

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2005, 03:06 AM

People here have already said it works with different Canon models. In the worst case, you just use cups to do a raw forward of the processed printer data, which means there is no driver in between at all.

So for me, Canon's drivers worked fine. Both ways, printing from my Mac to the printer which I connected to the pc and vice versa. Just activate both, Windows sharing and printer sharing.

So we have done already both, said that we expect it to work from our own experience and suggested two workarounds which should work as well.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 10, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by zonk3r
Ahh, but from the research I've done says that this printer's drivers **aren't** CUPS drivers at all, they print directly to the printer...

Here's some links I've found:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...Fencoding=UTF8

(I also posted this question here with some folks commenting)
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/grou...m/918009275731

Can anyone actually verify this or suggest a workaround that they are sure works?
Not CUPS, eh? Then how come my Canon printers have CUPS print queues?!?

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 10, 2005, 11:01 AM

P.S. And I already gave you a 100% workaround: PostScript. Mac OS X 10.3 and later's Printer Sharing makes every connected printer available to the network as a generic PostScript printer. You set it up on Windows as an Apple Color LaserWriter and it WILL work. You won't get the printer-specific options, but it will print.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules